What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why are HSI's still a thing?

rocketbob

Well Known Member
Last evening I enjoyed a nice flight as a safety pilot doing RNAV approaches in a Mooney which has a pair of G5's I installed a few months ago. I had an epiphany/realization that the 2nd G5 HSI display really isn't very useful if you have a CDI/glideslope on the primary G5, in addition to an iPad and the 430.

If the 2nd G5 displayed a FMS-like top view of the current flight plan with crossing altitudes that would make it FAR more useful.

Could we get this please Garmin? :)

Last evening I enjoyed a nice flight as a safety pilot doing RNAV approaches in a Mooney which has a pair of G5's I installed a few months ago. I had an epiphany/realization that the 2nd G5 HSI display really isn't very useful if you have a CDI/glideslope on the primary G5, in addition to an iPad and the 430.
If the 2nd G5 displayed a FMS-like top view of the current flight plan with crossing altitudes that would make it FAR more useful.
Could we get this please Garmin? :)

There you go trying to use logic again!

HSI aside, and possibly a slight thread hijacking, but iPads are an ever moving target with the constant updates.

I wouldn't ever rely on an iPad as a necessary flight component, just a handy dandy convenience tool.

All you need is that one update by that one software developer at Apple in a hurry to get out the door on a Friday night to render that device useless at the absolute worst time.

Apple is good stuff, but we are human, and our lives are now a series of never ending automatic software updates.

Last edited:
HSI aside, and possibly a slight thread hijacking, but iPads are an ever moving target with the constant updates.

I wouldn't ever rely on an iPad as a necessary flight component, just a handy dandy convenience tool.

All you need is that one update by that one software developer at Apple in a hurry to get out the door on a Friday night to render that device useless at the absolute worst time.

Apple is good stuff, but we are human, and our lives are now a series of automatic software updates.

I agree. I carry two iPads, automatic updates turned off on both, and they are only for flying, so no other apps. Separate iCloud account than I use for my "daily" phone and iPad. I only update one or the other, maybe twice a year. Disclaimer: I develop iOS apps for my day job so I have a bunch of iPads.

I agree. I carry two iPads, automatic updates turned off on both, and they are only for flying, so no other apps. Separate iCloud account than I use for my "daily" phone and iPad. I only update one or the other, maybe twice a year. Disclaimer: I develop iOS apps for my day job so I have a bunch of iPads.

Didn't mean that to sound pointed to you, it was just a broad observation.

Also, I think about the issues with Thermal Mode on iPads. If it gets hot, rendered useless until it decides its cool enough to start working again. Just having the plane in an orientation where the sun shines on it for long periods can do it, regardless of the cabin temperature.

Just rambling (sorry) :p

Edit: And .. Apple decides when to trigger thermal shutdowns, it could be fine for years, and then someone tweaks the temperature a few degrees in an update and boom! No iPad in flight.

Funny, just yesterday I was out flying the new dual G5/G375 panel in my RV-8 and was thinking, "holy cr@p, this is cool to have an HSI in this thing!" I guess that since my old panel was a steam gauge dinosaur this new glass HSI is quite a novelty! It all depends on where you're coming from...

Agreed, that'd be pretty handy and I'd feel right at home since that's what we use in the 737NG at work. And like the 737, you could have it switchable between HSI and MAP view.

...All you need is that one update by that one software developer at Apple in a hurry to get out the door on a Friday night to render that device useless at the absolute worst time.

And that's why it's not good to update as soon as it comes out. I never update until the apps I use send out the email that it's safe to update. I've never understood why some just have that anal need to update immediately.

I still have the little "1" in the corner of my screen telling me to update to 13.4.1. Not just yet.

I think the 2x G5s compete against the rectangular Aspen combo ADI and FD combos in a no-new-holes vacuum gyro replacement market.

A more FMS-esque Nav Display presentaion is another market with lots of options.

Just a wag.

True confessions

Okay, I'm one of those guys that splits my (GRT) screen to display the HSI. But it's not for the CDI needles, it's for the round DG. I learned to fly (IFR) with a round dial, and I can just glance at a round dial DG and know how much of a bank, for how long, I need to apply for a correction. In my first tries with a linear tape heading display, the corrections just weren't natural, I'd over or under correct. So I went back to the HSI display! I suppose if I applied myself I could learn to use it, but so far, I haven't...

That's interesting. In our Saab's we use HSI for NDB and VOR approaches, and HSI when we intercept the LOC on an obtuse angle, map mode (which has the rose on top anyway) when a STAR leads us straight onto the ILS. I've never really thought about that.

I guess it has to do with the eyes finding it easier to sense the movement of a large CDI needle in the midst of scanning all the other instruments when we're flying anything but a straight in approach.

I suppose if I applied myself I could learn to use it, but so far, I haven't...

I had been flying IFR with one NAV, one COM, a CDI, RMI & NDB for five years before I got to use an HSI. But I still had one NAV/COM for a while. I really liked the RMI. I didn?t get behind an EFIS Display for 25 years after that. The transition to EFIS had a learning curve. My friends said I?d eventually like it better, but it took an adjustment. After biting on a stick for a while, I like it and don?t want to go back. Doesn?t really take long to adjust.

Now watching pilots raised on EFIS having to fly a six pack with HSI... That?s painful to watch!

That's interesting. In our Saab's we use HSI for NDB and VOR approaches, and HSI when we intercept the LOC on an obtuse angle, map mode (which has the rose on top anyway) when a STAR leads us straight onto the ILS. I've never really thought about that.

I guess it has to do with the eyes finding it easier to sense the movement of a large CDI needle in the midst of scanning all the other instruments when we're flying anything but a straight in approach.

NDB approach with an RMI pointer and a heading bug on a slaved compass makes NDB Approach so easy compared to raw data.
I only wish Garmin had that option on G3X Touch.

If the 2nd G5 displayed a FMS-like top view of the current flight plan with crossing altitudes

Yep, that would be nice indeed. My only use of the CDI is to visualize and calculate intercept headings. Having my GNX375 displaying map track and steps would be great.

Such as can be displayed on the uAvionix AV-30. 🙂

Here here. I love the AV-30 and it has more than just HSI view as you allude to. There is a straight conventional DG view and a GPS Arc view that I really like on cross countries. I have both G5's and the AV-30 in different airplanes and if not integrating with a G3X system I prefer the AV-30 and can't wait until they finish the remote magentometer option for it.

Back