What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad Pro 11" (2020) Kneeboard/Case options...?

PatrickW

Interested in what fellow pilots are using for a case or kneeboard for their new (2020) 11" iPad Pro's.

The external dimensions are just different enough from my previous (3rd generation) iPad that my existing kneeboard won't work. And there's no way I can modify it, unfortunately.

The new iPad is different enough from previous models that old cases/kneeboards are not going to fit. And the new iPad is slippery and thin enough that it's survival for very long without a protective case is questionable.

A nice, soft and grippy case or kneeboard would sure be welcome on the market. But I don't see any out there (that will fit the new iPads) from the usual pilot shops.

Any pilots out there with a new 11" iPad Pro that have found a case or kneeboard that fits and that they're happy with in-flight...?

Thanks,

- Pat

I use an Otterbox cover for my 11? Pro. It is very thin - the iPad fits into a Ram mount holder when its in the case.

I have also placed the iPad on the paper pad on my tradition kneeboard. It stays in place fairly well. It works well for short periods of time. If I?m going to use the iPad a lot, I use the Ram mount.

The problem that makes me reluctant to use a cover, is potential overheating.

Shutdown due heat is an intermittent but not infrequent issue for my iPad Mini 2, and not sure but I assume ipad pro has similar potential to overheat in direct sun.

Those of you with 11" iPad Pros (with cellular) how is the internal GPS? I've heard of issues and have been reluctant to upgrade.

The GPS is rock solid. I?ve used my ForeFlight as a passenger in airliners. As long as I get a GPS lock before takeoff, it will usually stay locked on for the entire flight. It always works perfectly in my RV.

Regarding heat, the only time I had an overheat issue was when I left the iPad on the seat in direct sun while on the ground - maybe 15 minutes. When I went to turn it on, it was hot to the touch and would not turn on until I let it cool down.

The GPS is rock solid. I?ve used my ForeFlight as a passenger in airliners. As long as I get a GPS lock before takeoff, it will usually stay locked on for the entire flight. It always works perfectly in my RV.

Regarding heat, the only time I had an overheat issue was when I left the iPad on the seat in direct sun while on the ground - maybe 15 minutes. When I went to turn it on, it was hot to the touch and would not turn on until I let it cool down.

Interesting, thanks for the info on GPS.

A friend's company who flies TBMs suggested staying away from them as they've had issues in the TBM. I'll keep gathering information.

Back