What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle bolts and nut torque, RV-8 (question)

Eddie P

Well Known Member
Admission -I over torqued an axle attach nut yesterday when attaching some jack points on the main gear. :eek: (The jack points are the ones from Flyboy Accessories for the -8. They fit to the inside the the lower strut and require replacing the axle hardware attachments with slightly longer bolts).

I think I know why. But my first question is do you guys think I'm onto the right track in my theory to follow? I was using some anti galling compound to allow the bolts to slide into the holes easier and some of the material got into the threads of the bolts. I wiped down the threads before threading the nuts into place and I am pretty sure I was not careful to get all the compound out of the threads. I believe the compound lowered the torque of the spinning nut and allowed me to over tension the fitting since I assume the torque value is for a dry fitting. One of the nuts never reached my torque wrench click settings before stripping. Knowing that, I suspect the other three nuts have been over torqued as well. I was able to back them off and remove them normally. Of course I still have one nut that is stripped and will be removed with a nut splitting tool later today. I will discard all the hardware (suspected over tension on all) and re-installing new hardware without the anti galling compound of course this time.

Second question. My friend and A&P who is inspecting the aircraft for the C/I advised 5 foot-pounds torque for the landing gear axle nuts. The actual value we came up with was 50-70 inch pounds, 60 inch pounds seemed a good mid setting). So... 60/12=5 foot pounds target torque, on the wrench. I wanted to be sure this seemed accurate before I chance over torquing for a second round. I'm running out of hardware and luck, you see. :rolleyes:

Thanks to the brain trust for your musings on my question, in advance. Fly safe.

Last edited:
As a general rule a torque wrench is not accurate at the lower (or higher) extremes of the scale. If you are using a wrench using a pounds/feet range, I'm guessing the 5 is well under 10% of capacity. This may be your issue. Go get a well calibrated 0-150 pound/inch wrench and compare the two.

For the axle nuts, I assume you have the cotter key holes drilled.
I snug up with the lightweight wrench Van's sells, and back off to the cotter key hole. No set torque due to the tapered bearings.

Thank you all for the thoughts.

I do believe the torque wrench I was using may not have been the best for this particular job. The desired setting was on the low end of the advertised range. Plus the concept of thread lubricant... all part of the issue I believe.

After extracting the old damaged hardware and removing the other related hardware for concern of over torquing those too, I reinstalled new hardware without lubricant and used a more accurate, finer scale torque wrench for these desired settings. It all went swimmingly this time. Thanks again!

Back