What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need replacement for Nexus 7 (2013)

Apexeon

I fear that my trusty tablet running Avare and ADS-B in via FDS Pathfinder might be about to die. The display gets the Jitters and the touch screen is unresponsive. I can do a hard reset and it works OK but it has done this 4 times now and I think I might need a replacement. I have looked at the Samsung devices at Costco and they look very nice in the store but I don't know how they would do in my -6. Any ideas?

Don, a few weeks ago I purchased a factory refurb Nexus 7 (2013) on eBay for $119. That particular offer may be gone but there seemed to be quite a few units out there looking for new homes.

I really like this tablet, it runs Avare and Stratux like a champ. The display is very readable in the RV-6.

But the Nexus 7's won't last forever so I look forward to seeing what you decide to purchase.

Don, a few weeks ago I purchased a factory refurb Nexus 7 (2013) on eBay for $119. That particular offer may be gone but there seemed to be quite a few units out there looking for new homes.
Just got a manufacturer refurbished Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB on Ebay from a company in Canada for approximately US$130 with shipping. The Nexus 7 is the only "reasonably" priced tablet that consistently gets good reviews for being readable under an RV bubble canopy. Didn't think I really had any other choice. Likewise will be curious to see if there are other options out there in the sub-$150 price range.

Tablet

I used to have a Nexus 7 early version but got a free LG G Pad 8.3 when I switched to Verizon. Loaded Avare and it works very well in the cockpit and very light readable. Additionally it has its own phone line with Verizon so can get and sent text. Updates quickly each month using WiFi or cell number.

Tablet

I'm in the same boat thinking I need to up grade my nexus 7 so I was thinking nexus 8 is there a down side to that?
Bob

I'm in the same boat thinking I need to up grade my nexus 7 so I was thinking nexus 8 is there a down side to that?
Bob
I absolutely did not want anything bigger than it needed to be. My current iPad, which is only about 7", is already almost too big. I would consider an 8" but am skeptical about it fitting very well in our cramped cockpits.

I've got a Nexus 9. I like it because I can read it in bright sunlight. But it's big, 6" by 9". You might not want one so big. I use Garmin Pilot on it.

Back