What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OAT placement on a -6

rolivi

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've come to realize that my Dynon D-100 does not have an OAT installed.

Well I just can't have THAT!

Any thoughts on where I should put that probe? (Please don't say Outside)

Thanks!

Not Inside?

Just kidding...

I am interested in the question too. I am just starting a partially completed -6 and will need to address this as well.

On the bottom of either wing near the outboard inspection plate. It will be out of the sun and outside the prop wash

I've had mine on the right side of the fuselage under the horizontal stabilizer for a number of years. Very accurate.
Be aware that on the Dynon D10/D100 system, the OAT connects to the remote magnetomer (EDC-10A). I assume you already have that. If not, you will need to install.

Last edited:
Mel

What Mel said...

I installed my magnetometer on the wing root under the wingtip. Someone makes a special bracket (non magnetic) for easy mounting.
Because of the location my temp probe is on the wing bottom close to the access plate.
I do have other temp probes under the belly and in the NACA inlet. You have to have two....then the third is for a tie breaker...:)

Similar to Mel

Mine is mounted on the underside of the LH horizontal stabilizer fairing and connects through the magnetometer mounted on the rear deck. I put it there for simplified wiring, being shaded and far away from the engine and exhaust. For mounting I cut a keyhole shaped notch and hole on the edge of the fairing where is meets the HS. I can therefore remove the fairing by undoing the sensor securing nut, dropping the sensor out of the hole and slipping the wiring though the notch.

It seems to work well but if I was doing it again I might not put the magnetometer there. It is very slightly affected by proximity to the steel elevator horns. The Dynon DI swings a degree or two east or west between full forward and aft stick deflection. Mind you not something you are ever going to do while trying to hold a heading :eek:

Jim Sharkey

Temp

Mounted it inside the wing root under the wing root fairing ran the wire out the grommet for the gas gauge.
Bob

I've had mine on the right side of the fuselage under the horizontal stabilizer for a number of years. Very accurate.
Be aware that on the Dynon D10/D100 system, the OAT connects to the remote magnetomer (EDC-10A). I assume you already have that. If not, you will need to install.

Pretty sure they actually make two versions. One goes to the magnetometer and the other goes directly into a GP port, I believe.

I have mine installed in the same location as Mel and it works well.
Larry

I've got one under the wing and one under the empennage fairing. They read the same in the hangar but depending on speeds they diverge with the one under the wing showing a higher value than the one under the emp fairing by several degrees as speed increases. The difference closely follows the approximation of (TAS^2)/7569, where TAS is true airspeed in knots.

Last edited:
OAT

Sorry for the crumby pictures. They are of my OAT probe install. I think the wing root fairing is easier than putting it under the horizontal stab and more protected than probes mounted in the NACA scoop.

The keyhole makes removing the fairing easy. Just locate the probe so that the slot is covered by the rubber seal.

John

33cy8nb.jpg

2q3zyfm.jpg

Back