What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Squeal with PTT

Rayh

With only 9 hours in my 12 I started to get an intermittent squeal when I push my Pilot side PTT. Do not get it in the Co Pilot side. I set one of the soft keys on the Garmin radio to PTT and it doesn't squeal. Attempting to track it down. Any suggestions?

With only 9 hours in my 12 I started to get an intermittent squeal when I push my Pilot side PTT. Do not get it in the Co Pilot side. I set one of the soft keys on the Garmin radio to PTT and it doesn't squeal. Attempting to track it down. Any suggestions?

I had a squeal during an intercom swap in my airplane the other day. Turned out it was one of the noise cancelling headsets. During my checkout of the installation, I had set the headset on the side of the fuselage (in the hangar of course) with one ear cup outside the fuselage and the other inside. This caused a squeal.

My suggestion is that if you are trying this with a noise cancelling headset, start your troubleshoting there.

Try the mic gain setting on the radio, go to the setup, key the mic and turn it down till the noise goes away. On mine the setting was 8

Last edited:

The problem on one side only does suggest something specific to the wiring on that side. Perhaps a grounding problem? The insulators in the mike jack can be tricky. Just a thought.

Same issue

It seems that I have the same issue.
I noticed a squel (kind of a feedback) when I transmitting. It's better when engine is off or at low RPM and gets worse at cruise power. However, it varys and it is difficult to track down, but at least very annoying.
I changed sidetone parameter and tried with different volume settings, both at the I/C and at the headsets, but doesn't seem to really help much.

I am using Bose A20 headsets for both seats and a this Inflight solution to feed I/C audio to my GoPro 5
My Radio is a Garmin GTR225

If somebody has solved this or could provide more pointers to tackle this, that would be great.
Somewhere I read that a ferrite core might help.

I will try that, thanks.
I had the same problem - it cleared up once I installed a dedicated ground wire on the female headset jack rather than counting on a washer in contact with the floor skin. It made a world of difference, but I'm not discounting the possibility that just fiddling with the jack fixed it. It also took out an annoying buzz in my videos when I did the same for the 1/8" jack that I use to capture headset audio.

Headset jacks and mic jacks and music jacks should be mounted with insulating step washers so that the jacks do not touch the aluminum mounting surface.

Back