What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EFIS Turn Coordinator

Rayh

I just recently finished my RV-12 and have been able to take it up a couple times so far. The unfortunate part the weather has not been ideal (windy) for much flight testing. One thing I noticed and I don't know if it is normal. Every time I hit a little turbulence the turn coordinator moves more excessive than the amount of turbulence I hit. It goes max from left bank to right bank with the slightest bump in flight. Is this normal for a EFIS display? Is there a calibration adjustment for this?

Ray,
Which element are you referring to as the turn coordinator? There is the "ball" and there is a turn rate display.

There is not a calibration for these elements. They are calibrated at the factory, and are accurate for what the plane is doing. You may find that they react quicker than the mechanical gauges you are used to which are very slow and also don't have much resolution.

I'll second Dynonsupport on this one. I have a D100, and just because it came cheap, I also have an electric T&B mounted immediately beneath the D100. The electric T&B is slow to react, while the Dynon appears, in comparison, to be skittish. When establishing a coordinated turn, the Dynon proves itself time and again to be dead on for setting bank angle while the electric T&B often requires bank correction as it slowly waddles and catches up to the airplane. With the Dynon, the ball is very easy to see when even the slightest lack of coordination is present. Not so with the electric T&B.

When flying with a flight instructor you hope he's looking at the steam gauges instead of the Dynon! :)

senso in the tail?

Is the sensor mounted in the tail? If so has the stiffener mod from Van,s been done?

Thank you for all of the responses. I would have to say that it appears I am used to the slower response of the old T&B instrumenrs. I will just fly on and get used to the EFIS.

Back