What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel flow displaying 0 gph

Rayh

Yesterday I did my maiden voyage of my fresh built 12. I am not getting any fuel flow reading on the Skyview. I have the FL-60 red cube and set the k factor but it doesn't seem to be feeding the Skyview the fuel flow info. I checked voltage going to the cube and it is getting 12 volts. I removed it and there was no obstruction in it and I could see the impeller turning when I used my mouth to gently blew air toward the opening of inlet side of it. Any other ideas out there? I think the red cube might be bad. If so, I hope Van's can help me out with a replacement under warranty seeing that I have less than an hour time on this one.

Don't touch anything....:eek:

You are the first person in recorded history to successfully break the first law of thermodynamics. :)

Disconnect the wires from the FL-60. Measure the voltage on the output signal wire (Yellow?). If there is voltage, then the wire should be good back to the Dynon. If there is no voltage, remove the 37 pin D-Sub connector from the SV-EMS-220. Check continuity from pin 14 of that connector to the signal wire that you disconnected from the flow meter.
Also measure voltage between the red and black wires at the flow meter to make sure that the black wire is grounded.

Disconnect the wires from the FL-60. Measure the voltage on the output signal wire (Yellow?). If there is voltage, then the wire should be good back to the Dynon. If there is no voltage, remove the 37 pin D-Sub connector from the SV-EMS-220. Check continuity from pin 14 of that connector to the signal wire that you disconnected from the flow meter.
Also measure voltage between the red and black wires at the flow meter to make sure that the black wire is grounded.[/QUOTE

I will do that tomorrow. Thanks Mitch.

Test results show that there is 3.28 volts at the yellow wire coming from the Dynon. 12 volts at red and black, both from Dynon and at the Fl-60 red and black after plugging it back in.

This is what I am leaning towards also. Really stinks that it was bad out of the box!

what voltage should I be getting on the yellow wire?
I do not know, but any voltage indicates that the circuit is not broken back to the Dynon. From what I have read, the FL-60 puts out a DC square wave. A frequency meter or oscilloscope is needed to check that. I tend to agree with you that the flow meter is dead on arrival.
Joe

I talked to Van's builder support and found a quick way to test the transducer. Unplug the transducer, take the sender (yellow) wire and tap it on a ground at a fast pace and watch the fuel flow on the Skyview. If while tapping the yellow wire on a ground the flow starts showing above zero gph then the transducer is faulty.
I did this simple test and found the transducer is bad. Time for a replacement.

Back