What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AV-5002 issue

Rayh

I had received my avionics pkg 3 weeks ago. After installing it the led light in the master switch wasn't working. I talked to tech support about the issue and after talking they told me to send it in. Just received an email from the shipping Dept telling me that the module inspection was done and the light works. Then they proceeded to tell me they want $40.00 for the inspection and $12.00 shipping.

Last edited:
I had received my avionics pkg 3 weeks ago. After installing it the led light in the master switch wasn't working. I talked to tech support about the issue and after talking they told me to send it in. Just received an email from the shipping Dept telling me that the module inspection was done and the light works. Then they proceeded to tell me they want $40.00 for the inspection and $12.00 shipping.
I know the light was not working when I sent it in. After spending nearly $70,000 this is how we are helped as customers?
I usually don't rant about things but this seems wrong!

Hi Ray,
Sorry to hear that everything in your avionics kit is not functioning correctly.

Since you chose to air this on line instead of contacting someone in the office at Van's it is only fair to provide other details as I know them (I admit there might be others that I don't know).

Your AV-50002 was received at Van's with a note that said the Master switch LED didn't light. It also mentioned you had attempted to adjust the light intensity with the panel dimmer control, and the dimmer function with-in Skyview (that only controls screen dimming on any RV-12 with the panel dimmer installed).
There was no mention of any other troubleshooting being done before sending it in.
Your Ign. Module was tested using the same pins on the back panel D-sub that interface with the wiring in the airplane that are related to panel lighting.
The LED worked in the switch as it is supposed to. That is an indicator that there is a problem elsewhere.
There was no mention whether the Ign A & B switch LEDS had been checked for proper operation (my guess is those wouldn't have worked either).
There was also no mention of whether any of the LED's on the switch module switches worked properly. My guess is that those probably don't either.
If they do, then that is an indication that there is possibly a problem with the harness that connects to the AV-50002 (Ign. Module).
If I am correct and the Switch Module LED's also don't work, then the problem is likely related to a wiring error with the panel mounted dimmer control (what I think is the most likely cause).

Since it doesn't appear there was any level of system trouble shooting done up to this point, there is no way to know whether the problem is caused by a defect elsewhere in a wiring harness, or a wiring error by you.

With that being the case, billing for time spent testing parts that had no defect seems reasonable. If future troubleshooting points to an actual defect in some other part, my recommendation would be to discuss that with someone in the office.

Hey Ray,

Many of us have encountered a problem or two while debugging our builds. I've had a couple of Skyview component failures and a voltage regulator failure as well in the first two years. Sometimes, stuff breaks but most of the time, we as builders make a mistake along the way.

What I've found is one of the best ways to debug a problem is to first, post the problem here and ask for help. The breadth and depth of knowledge here is simply amazing sometimes. Builders come from all walks of life and some of them are actually useful. :p Granted, you have to wade through some advice that may be off base, but I've found that you can usually find someone who has dealt with the exact same problem as you. And folks here are more then willing to lend you a helping hand.

Sorry about the charge for checking out the problem, but that's not uncommon and seems reasonable. Chalk it up to experience and move forward. Please let us know if we, as a group, can help you moving forward.

Back