What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch oil pressure display in RV-12

Flying Griff

I'm New Here
When doing my first pressure purge, I noticed the oil pressure reading on the G3X EFIS never fell below 15. On closer inspection, I found it just displays "underscores" at initial boot-up. It jumps to 15 psi as a first value. However, fuel pressure values clearly go down to "0".

Has anyone else with a G3X system noticed this? Or does your oil pressure display values right down to "0"? (in fact, the Rotax manual says the baseline for the probe will often be 3 psi).

I am building EAB and cannot use the stock Vans downloadable config files. There appear to be some restrictions on the minimum value in the pre-set G3X stock config settings for my Rotax 456180 oil pressure sender. This sender became standard on engines manufactured after the summer of 2012 (sn 6780435 onwards). If G3X-equipped RV12's with the new-style sender are displaying down to zero, I will need to pursue the oil pressure sensor set-up in the current Vans G3X configuration screen.

Hope my first attempt at image insertion works and thanks for any input,
Griff

G3X%20EIS%20data_zpse7dypzvl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello Griff,

Not to worry, your system is operating normally. For reasons unknown to us, Rotax chose to use an oil pressure sensor (456180) that cannot register values below about 0.75 Bar (~11 PSI). Your G3X engine gauges will remove the numeric value when the monitored parameter is outside of the valid range of the sensor, so when the engine is not running you will see dashes instead of a number. As soon as you start the engine and the oil pressure gauge comes off the peg, the number will appear.

- Matt

Matt,
Thanks for the quick reply on a Sunday!
I had tackled the issue with both Garmin and Rotax last week but it was left as a "not sure, we'll look into it and get back to you". In fact, I should have studied the pressure / voltage graph that Rotax sent me a little more closely. Although the graph suggests readings down to zero, the range shown on the heading is as you say.
Cheers
Griff

Keller%20pressure%20vs%20voltage_zpsixj1jpg1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back