What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom wing / aileron order

jwilbur

Well Known Member
The RV-10 plans show the wing bottom skins going on before the ailerons and flaps and the actuation. Is there a reason for this? I'm wondering if having access inside the wing might make the actuation (along with the aileron and flaps) easier to install - and then the bottom skins going on last. What am I missing? .... I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

I haven't riveted my lower skin on yet but I have set up the actuation on the ailerons and I will tweek it after the skin is on if needed. I just thought working in the wing without the skin on would be much easier. I don't feel this will create any problems later.(hopefully I'm not wrong:eek:). There have been quite a few areas I haven't followed the suggested completion order in order to work better with my pace and build style.:D

It has been too long for me to recall what the plans specified, but I installed the bellcranks and push/pull tubes, then removed the tubes when I was ready to rivet the lower skins. If you leave the tubes in place, they are going to be in the way when bucking some of the rivets.

Jim Berry
RV-10

You won't be able to buck the rivets with the tubes in. My suggestion is to follow the plans. It's easy to install the torque tubes. The important stuff to get in place are the wires and pitot line. In addition, now is the time to mount the pitot tube mounting bracket.nand the stall horn switch

Back