What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick height

Adam W

Well Known Member
Hi all

Looking for some info on stick height
I?m building a 7. Using infinity grips and I?d like to prep the stick grips and wiring. However I don?t have my seats yet. I?ve mocked up some styrofoam seats but I?d like to double check with others how much of the stick stick they removed before installing the infinity grip?

I?m only 5?4? tall. I know this will be a variable that affects preference

Adam, take a drive over to the. Brampton airport. There are a few rvs there and that you can sit it. Look for Charllie Douma.

I am running the Tostens (haven't flown yet) but cut then down enough to just clear the panel in full forward deflection, with a bit of wiggle room/clearance on top.

I am 6'4" though... so YMMV.

Hi Adam, I fly a 7 out of Brampton. We have about a dozen various RV's on the field. You will find the stick length range varies considerably. The guys meet Saturday mornings between 8-9 at the restaurant. As suggested, come on out and you can check out a few.

I have a Tosten grip with the stick shortened to clear the panel about 2". This also allows clearance to my center mounted quadrant. I typically am just holding the stick between thumb and forefinger below the grip in cruise with my forearm on my thigh. The only time I am on the grip is TO/landing, doing "upper air work" or in the pattern. I used to have a 4 with a full length stick and flew it the same way. Just what works for me.

Al

I too am running the Tosten Military gips (which I absolutely love) and I had to cut 6.5" off the copilot stick, and IIRC, 5.5" off the pilot stick. This however gave close to the normal stick top height of Van's traditional bicycle grip with PTT button. I have just a regular panel setup, but I still found that the wide head on the Tosten stick meant the stick was still impacting the throttle at idle . Although this scenario (full forward, full right and mixture idle) may be remote, I didn't want any risk of conflict, so I changed the throttle bracket angle slightly (and fabricated a new sub panel support bracket for the cables) instead of cutting more off the stick. It has worked a treat.
So in summary, if you are a short dude, you'll want to have as long a stick as possible (this is where I could add something inappropriate, but I won't), because with a number of seat cushions under you, you will find that at full aileron deflection, you will be hitting your hand or the palm swells on the military style sticks against your thighs.
Tom.
RV-7

Back