What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Bus

Adam W

Well Known Member
Hello

I have this nice ground bus that Stein Air has prepared for me. I want to mount it on the firewall in the typical orientation. Stud / Bolt to pick up negative battery cable protruding through firewall facing forward and the ground tabs facing aft.
i went and made a nice aluminum doubler for support. walking away BEFORE installing this i was thinking do i have any Galvanic action concerns here?
A stainless firewall that will be mated up to an aluminum doubler which is then mated up to the ground bus. i am assuming its copper.
i will be making a sandwich of dissimilar metals were there will be current passing through. is this a problem in your minds???

Last edited:
Electrolyte

Remember, galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte like water
If your bus stays dry you should be OK.
But coating the parts won?t hurt.

...and

Realize that there are many areas in our aircraft that present the opportunity for galvanic corrosion. Another example is the joint between the SS firewall and all the aluminum skins; and the aluminum stiffeners and the firewall.

As previously posted, an electrolyte is needed and coating the parts can't hurt.

The point is, where do we drawn the line? That is the question...

Is it really heavy enough to *need* a doubler? I believe most people do not use one (I don't recall putting one in myself, but I'd have to go back and check and I'm not really in the mood to crawl up under the panel :) ).

Back