What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworth HID, VPX, and wigwag

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
I might have missed something a long time ago. I have 50W Duckworth HIDs, one in each wing, a landing light (left) and a taxi light (right), each on their own circuits. I may be a dummy, but it hadn't occurred to me that HIDs aren't necessarily suited for wigwag flashing.

Do I need to replace these HIDs with LEDs, or am I good to go? Do I need to program a warmup-before-flash time into the VPX?

I have two of Duckworth HID lights and the VP-X Pro and they wig wag just fine. The VP-X is set up to wig wag above 100kts and shine constant below 100 knots for landing. No need for LEDs for this reason.

You will want a warm-up time, but they will wig-wag just fine. They need to both be set up as landing lights, I think, though.

HID & VPX

I have that set-up, the VPX warms them up, then wig wags if you program it that way. I have mine set to stop wig wag below 90kts. The switch over point is what you program it to be. I like the way it works.

Excellent news, thanks everyone.

Question: What warmup time do you recommend?

Excellent news, thanks everyone.

Question: What warmup time do you recommend?

I set mine up a couple years ago and don't recall the actual setting. I believe I took the default recommendation from the VPX installation manual.

Like others mentioned, I have the same setup and they work just fine.

Typically the Duckworks HID should warm up for 60 seconds, and the Xevision for 30 seconds. At least that's what I've been told by the manufacturers.

If wig wag is not recommended, it is because the manufacturer is worried there's no way to enforce a warm-up period. So they err on the side of conservatism. Of course, the VP-X handles that automatically so wig wag is fine because the lights will always warm up.

My generic 50 watt HID flash just fine if you let them warm up first for 5-10 seconds.

Bevan

My understanding is they will work fine with minimal warmup, but the longer warmup extends the life of the bulbs. :)

Back