What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Colorado floods

Colorado Pirep

Haven't heard about anyone having issues with flooding at any airports / hangars, but the rain is definitely causing flooding in Colorado. Roads are out and the reservoirs are full and need to spill over, but the creeks and rivers are full. This is unusual weather for us. I hope they are right about a long harsh winters for the next 5 years, with lots of snow, because I like to ski and snowboard. Maybe this is an indication of what's to come!

Fair warning: If you plan to book a ski trip to Colorado this year, better get your reservations/tickets early. I have a feeling it's going to be epic.:)

Boulder and Erie airport runways were reported as being under water today.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Really doubt Boulder's runway is under water as that's on a mesa and the city is using the airport as an emergency command center.

Here in south Boulder, things are reasonably okay. I got some water in the basement but was able to pump most of it out, leaving mud behind. No RV parts are down there.

All utilities work and the shop is dry. The RV-3B is completely untouched.

Dave

Ha!

Really doubt Boulder's runway is under water as that's on a mesa and the city is using the airport as an emergency command center.

Here in south Boulder, things are reasonably okay. I got some water in the basement but was able to pump most of it out, leaving mud behind. No RV parts are down there.

All utilities work and the shop is dry. The RV-3B is completely untouched.

Dave

I could just see you Dave, getting rescued by a small motorboat from the roof of your house... with all your RV-3 parts! :D :D

Floods

Estes Park got hit pretty hard. The roads are all closed so the town is isolated. We are lucky enough to live on a hill side so we are fine but our prayers go out to all those less fortunate and to all the brave responders who risked everything. We stocked and gassed up today just in case. Looks like I get some serious build time.

Stuck In Great Bend, KS.

I've been stuck in Great Bend, KS for the past two days. Landed here Wednesday night coming back from Indiana and the Colorado/Kansas weather made sure I didn't get anywhere. Almost looked like I was going to get out of here this afternoon, but by the time I had a chance to escape a bunch of thunder boomers full of lightning/hail and Mesocyclone activity started building to the west and blocked my escape....

Couldn't fly over or around them. Can't go north towards Goodland as it's still IFR. Looks like another night in Great Bend.

Last edited:
Up here at 8500 feet we have no flooding problems. Nice to live on a hill.

Gary, just be vigilant to mudslides. I don't know what your terrain is like but heavy rains in mountainous areas in other parts of the world have been deadly.

Fort Collins-Loveland (KFNL) is well above flood plains also.
However the construction work to replace ramp pavement is still in progress.

GH

NOTAM: !FNL 08/009 FNL APRON LIMITED PARKING AVBL WEF 1308231346-1310112300

Is this going to adversely impact parking for LOE 2013?
Here is what we received. However this was before the rains. I would imagine this might get delayed somewhat:

"

Good Afternoon Everyone,
The GA Ramp Rehabilitation project will begin next Monday, August 19th. The project is broken down into three phases with the schedules of each phase as follows:

1. Phase I beginning August 19 thru September 24
2. Phase II beginning September 24 (or Phase I rehabilitation completion) thru October 7
3. Phase III beginning October 7 (or Phase II rehabilitation completion) thru October 18

Completion date of the total project is scheduled for October 18.
There will be closures of ramp and ramp access throughout the project, but the project has been phased so all hangar tenants and airport businesses will have access to the runway. During Phase I and Phase II Taxiways B and D will be the best route to/from hangars to/from Taxiway A. Taxiway C will be used by itinerant aircraft and will be directed to ramp parking by the jetCenter.
Aircraft leasing tie-downs from the jetCenter will be relocated to tie-downs on the very south section of the ramp during construction.

Tenants accessing the airport via Gate #2, please be cautious during the project as Front Range Helicopters will be operating on the ramp area, east side of the large jetCenter hangar.

NOTAMs will be issued throughout the project.

NOTE: As with all construction projects, these schedules are subject to change due to unforeseen issues that may arise, but I will keep everyone informed as the project proceeds.

Thank you,
"

Thanks for the update. Looks like any impacts may not be known for a while and the fly-in is still three weeks away.

I just found a PDF showing areas being worked on at this site: http://www.fortloveair.com/

At certain times it appears that there will be very little ramp space available.

Last edited:
The Longmont KLMO manager sent this out at 11:55 am local:

"The Airport has not sustained any flooding or damage in the past two days. All hangars and aircraft are dry and safe."

However, there's a TFR precluding normal operations, plus the airport power has been shut down, making it difficult to open many of the hangar doors.

Dave

Thanks for posting. We've spent a number of vacations at Estes Park, and a friend's cabin on Storm Mtn. Road, north of Drake. Sounds like 34 will be closed for a significant rebuild.

Seems surprising that you couldn't raise anyone on 121.5

Carl

Appreciate the video. I lived in Ft. Collins and Windsor until about 7 years ago. It took me quite a while to get my bearings over Water Valley (where I lived most recently) just because of the amount of standing water. Unbelievable.

Flooding

I have seen worse flooding in the Midwest but this was record high water and many bridges and roads were impassable. I think it's worse in boulder and Longmont and east Greeley where homes are in the water. I finished a trip yesterday and my 1 hour drive home took 3hours plus searching for a bridge across the platte river that wasn't closed. I shot some video from my truck as I crossed the river south of greeley that was impressive. The two roads up to Estes park from the east are washed out. It was my intention to overfly the TFR for a look farther south but the controllers comments convinced me not to do that. There were several sight seers flying near the mouth of the canyon and getting in the way of guard air ops. It wouldn't surprise me if there is another tfr over that area now.
Cm

Back