What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting started.

usmcmech

I'm New Here
Howdy everyone!

I'm a long time lurker who has always dreamed about building an RV-7 and now I am finally in a position to begin. I was an airframe mechanic in the Marine Corps and I have an A&P but haven't used it in almost 10 years. I just bought the preview plans from the Van's tent in Oshkosh last week and I intend to get started this fall.

What are some of your suggestions for setting up shop and buying tools before ordering the tail kit? What other pieces of advice do you have for a first time builder before taking the plunge?

Scott Beadle

Welcome to VAF!

Scott, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Long time lurker indeed..............

Welcome to the world of VAF. There's a lot to consider in setting up your shop.
Of course you'll start with a compressor, big IS better. Big as in - big capacity and big voltage (220V).
But a smaller one will work as well. If you find quality used tools, buy them. Savings of 30 to 50 percent are likely.
Same with air tools. There is a lot of information within the VAF search engine. Best of luck.

Welcome to VAF

Scott, a good starting point would be to find a local EAA chapter. Join EAA as well and find lots of articles in the monthly magazine.

An EAA chapter may well have some guys in the building phase and they could use some riveting/bucking bar help.

Obviously, you need a work table, clecos, a portable drill...air or battery and the basic tools and some space. Guys here have built in freight containers, single car garages and even several floors upstairs in apartments!

Again, welcome to VAF.

Best,

Take the plunge before you read the rest of the preview manual. It can be overwhelming to look at ;) Welcome, you will have a ball building it!!

Getting Started...

Greetings Scott!

Congrats on getting started. It seems you have all the right credentials for starting.

My advice is that Information is cheap at the beginning, and lack of information can be real expensive. For example, I have a few tools I NEVER used. *sigh*

Lurking for a long time is actually pretty good, and will help you in the long run. I was a lurker for two years before I started.

Here are my tips:
===========
1. The Internet is a good place to get good and bad advice. Double check all advice you get.

2. Visit a workshop or two. Try to go to a shop that is in the early stages of development. Post empannage but pre wing installation. EAA members can help with this. This can be a home or a hangar.

3. Take a ride in your model. Pay for the gas (If they let you) and buy lunch.

4. Have a plan. You can save a bunch of money deciding what kind of plane you want and sticking to it. Hot Rod? Econobuild? Factory Original? You get to pick! You can change this, but if you have a plan, you will need a good reason to change it.

5. Have a budget. Good luck trying to keep to it, but having a realistic budget helps you see the future.

Congrats!

CC

As others have noted...

• Used tools are often a good deal. Watch the VAF classifieds like a hawk, and don't delay if you see someone selling what you need for a decent price. Guarantee if you think about it for more than 5 minutes, it's already sold.
  • Big workbench. Mine is 3' x 8', just about right, and I just built another smaller one (half an EAA 1000 bench) on casters to hold the band saw, sander, buffer and drill press.
  • Big compressor, but you don't need to mortgage the house for it. I have a 110V 30 gal. from Northern Tool, because I have no 220 in the garage. Works fine.
  • Get two pair of cleco pliers, so you'll always be able to find one pair.
  • I find a chucking reamer works better than a drill bit for match drilling holes. get a #30 and a #40.
  • If you don't have a decent shop vac - get one.
  • It's true, people have built planes in very small places. I don't envy them though, the more space you can get the better... but always remember, no matter how much space you need, your wife's car gets parked inside. :)
  • Good advice to plan your build and stick to it. At the same time, sit down before each major phase and review what you're planning to do. Priorities change. As I started my fuselage I decided to drop some things I had considered "must haves" (like dual brakes) and add a couple I never thought I'd want (like smoke).
  • Always listen to advice... but you don't always have to take it. Different people have different missions and priorities.

Welcome to RV World usmcmech

Scott you don't know what you are getting into. Before it's too late return those preview plans and get a full refund :D

Fencer of JC

Last edited:
Just buy the kit!!

I was almost ready to start for years. Then I got lucky, my wife bought me the tail kit for Xmas 2012, it was totally unexpected:) Now I'm working on the fuselage.
The hardest part is deciding your ready. Once you get going it all comes together.

Disclaimer: It didn't work out that way back in the early 90's when I bought my RV 4 tail kit.
It is still in the rafters of my shed out back, had kids end of story. Now the kid's are having kids of their own and I can play with my own toys. Maybe after the 7 is done I'll get started on the 4.

Back