What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer RV wheel/brake/tire set - first impressions

sbalmos

Well Known Member
You may be aware that since early November, in some EAA weekly newsletter emails, Beringer Aero has been running a special on their RV kits. Basically, for the first RV builder in each EAA chapter that orders a full Beringer basic wheel/brake/tire kit, Claire knocks 30% off list.

Well, filing this under the "because I can" department, I went ahead and ordered the basic kit and everything from Claire at the beginning of the year. I'm nowhere near ready for it - just started my fuselage last week - but it's good to have around, especially for that price. I went ahead and ordered both the fuselage and finishing kits at the same time (one has the master cylinders, reservoirs, tubing, etc, the other the actual wheels/tires/brakes), along with the copilot brake option, nose wheel, and the parking brake valve. Basically the kitchen sink, because... :)

When ordering my fuselage from Vans, I told them to just hold off on the master cylinders and anything else brake related, along with the plastic and metal tubing for brake lines. In ordering the copilot brake pedal set, you get another master cylinder anyway, so there are some parts I'll sell off here eventually.

Last night, I finally got the package from UPS. Some shipping delays from customs and the weather, but nothing problematic. Beringer's US importer/distributor in Chicago was very helpful. And Claire herself was very helpful emailing back and forth during pre-sales.

On Claire's recommendation, the main tires are Condor 5.00-5" 10ply tubeless tires, now standard in his kits. And the nose wheel is an Aero Classic 11x4.00-5" 8ply tubeless tire. Following up on previous installations mentioned here in the VAF archives, where people had problems with the master cylinder-mounted reservoirs, Claire has changed the reservoir setup. It is now a separate reservoir per pilot, mounted on the firewall, like in the standard Vans kit.

I'll post up more information in the coming year in my build log thread. But seeing as current info on Beringer installs is a bit scarce here on VAF, I thought I'd post up my notes. The cost for the kitchen sink was comparatively high. But I'm willing and able to go all-out in my build. You pay for quality. :)

... and I just realized while typing this up that I didn't weigh the wheels/tires/etc, so I could post those numbers for comparison. I'll do that some time this weekend.

Some pics for information / enjoyment:

The 41.5lb UPS shipping package, being inspected by COMTREAT

IMG_20140219_192646_zpsdagr3ae0.jpg

Brake hardware set. Going top to bottom, left to right: The two main wheel brake calipers, the nose wheel axle, the 4 master cylinders, the parking brake valve, hardware package and reservoirs, and on the bottom is the Beringer anti-lock pressure regulator.

IMG_20140219_194216_zpsgewke0qm.jpg

You also get all the SS-braided PTFE hose you need to connect everything, and run down the gear legs.

IMG_20140219_193054_zpsvuwt61yk.jpg

Closeup of a brake caliper

IMG_20140219_193945_zpsmsbifcwb.jpg

(bad) closeup of one of the new firewall-mounted reservoirs

IMG_20140219_215725_zpslrliwgkm.jpg

One of the Condor main tires and wheel hubs, which I semi-assembled out of fun with its floating steel brake disc and caliper.

IMG_20140219_212721_zpsjateqhjf.jpg

The Aero Classics nose wheel

IMG_20140219_193017_zpslpcicz4j.jpg

Last edited:
Beringer

Awesome.
Mine is on the way too. I too deleted all the stuff from my order and was pleasantly surprised when Beringer ran the deal. I had to jump on it. Stuff is like artwork. I saw it at Oshkosh.

Install instructions

Scott
Did your order have any install paperwork?
I've heard they don't provide any. Just curious. Not even a mention of recommended brake fluid.

It is not included in print form in the package. However, under the Tech Support area of her site, Claire has multiple PDFs of full install instructions, inspection and replacement instructions, etc. The fluid to use is etched on each part, as well as noted in the install PDF. Like mine, it will almost certainly be standard milspec red aviation mineral brake fluid.

Last edited:
Instructions

It is not included in print form in the package. However, under the Tech Support area of his site, Claire has multiple PDFs of full install instructions, inspection and replacementiinstructions, etc. The fluid to use is etched on each part, as well as noted in the install PDF. Like mine, it will almost certainly be standard milspec red aviation mineral brake fluid.

Thanks.
Gotta love the internet!

It's very nice hardware Scott I am jealous. Please come with a report during/after Phase One.

documents

I sent Claire an email request for them. Maybe it's my computer. I can't scroll their tech support list.

Brakes

I deleted the Matco brakes from my 8 kit , went Cleveland . Try finding Beringer or Matco parts in Bumfuc Egypt on a weekend trip . Brake wear , over heat and wheels get damaged ,there are always Cleveland parts around .

Hah Dominik. I knew it was typically a French woman name. But I could've sworn that based on past VAF posts and elsewhere, Claire @ Beringer was a man. Whoops. :rolleyes:

I installed a set of these on a customers RV7A, he is very happy with them. If you have any questions I may be able to help.. been there done that.

Weight

Hi Scott

Looks very nice. What is the weight of the wheel and disc combined..... I am wondering if there is a weight saving on the Cleveland units.

...oh my, sorry, can't stop laughing!!!

I deleted the Matco brakes from my 8 kit , went Cleveland . Try finding Beringer or Matco parts in Bumfuc Egypt on a weekend trip . Brake wear , over heat and wheels get damaged ,there are always Cleveland parts around .

ah yes, I think I've been to that town, and found parts quite scarce!..but at least the locals were friendly! :)

( still laughing!):D

Other than looks,...

....why are the Beringer's a "work of art" and somehow better than the Clevelands or Matcos. Enquiring minds want to know!

....why are the Beringer's a "work of art" and some how better than the Clevelands or Matcos. Enquiring minds want to know!

I have Beringer's front wheel assembly for my 7a. They are indeed a work of art.
The wheels are fabbed from solid billets of a/c aluminum then alodined "Beringer red".
As noted in these forum previously "I wish Van's supplied clear wheel pants."
Regards

Last edited:
ah yes, I think I've been to that town, and found parts quite scarce!..but at least the locals were friendly! :)

( still laughing!):D

Except at the ABF freight depot where they jack the rates up and put fork lift holes in you kit box

Hey Scott,
You're going to have the coolest looking set of RV wheels on the airport. I hope you don't cover them up with wheel pants. Kind of reminds me of putting mag wheels on my car in high school - well before your time, but they could make a junker look like a hot rod. I can't wait to see them and find out how well they perform.

Heh, indeed Scott. I may bring one out to the airport tomorrow morning when I stop by to do some engine work. I'll be in the chapter hangar if you're around. ;) Still have to figure out clear fiberglass wheel pants. Or maybe half-wheel pants of some sort.

For those questioning weight, I just unscientifically weighed them, using the highly reproducible and infallible method of weighing myself, and then weighing while holding a tire. ;)

Main wheel/tire/brake set - 12.0 lbs
Nose wheel/tire without axle - 6.8 lbs

As for why I think Beringer's better, it comes down to the following things in my mind:

* The over-pressure regulator - I (in theory, if I set it right) can't lock things up if I happen to freak out and step on the brakes during a hard stop
* The brake assemblies and pads are much higher quality IMO
* Tubeless tires (again, IMO)
* Sealed bearings without an Allan mod (sorry Allan, but I'll be spending enough with you elsewhere in the coming year. :D)
* The fact that, at this point in my build, it addresses a complete subsystem all at one time - wheels, brakes, master cylinders (was going to go with Grove), tubing (I have a goal to not have a single hard line in my plane, was going to have Tom make braided flexible brake lines anyway), etc.

You flight mileage may vary. But those were my points of decision.

My 30% off kit arrived today.

Interestingly enough, it was missing 30% of the parts too. :( Hopefully Thomas at Beringer-Aero USA can get the missing fuselage kit portion sent out soon.

I must say...these things are masterpieces. I can't wait to be in a position to install them. I need to work out a "Yak-54" like fairing for the mains, cause the wheels are B-E-A-U-tiful. Shame they will be under wheel pants.

They also look very maintenance light/free.

Thomas was able to determine the missing sub kit was missed in the packing process. Sending it out ASAP. He is quick with the communication.

Glad to see they were picked up by Cirrus as OEM. Should have more folks using them. Can't say enough about the quality.

Photos

May we have some photos please?Congratulations,these are state of the art.If I may ask what was the net cost?
Thanks
RHill

Hey Ron,

Scott posted some photos at the start of this thread. I plan to take some for my build site once I receive the remainder of the parts as well.

I will let you know when I do if you like.

We've got Beringer wheels/brakes fitted to the RV-3 in build. Primary attraction was the weight savings - albeit to secure those you might need to push Beringer and the specification.

Might have a flying report sometime in 2014... or not!

It is high quality kit...

Mike R - please contact me off forum if you want full details of our spec/thoughts.

Hey Walt,

Where does one install the remote fluid reservoirs so that filling/checking is easy like the Vans stock placement? Since we are left with no instructions really, I wish I could take a bunch of photos of your customers install as a reference.

I wanted to use the stock reservoir but ended up mounting their units because (in case you have noticed yet) their plumbing is metric :eek:

Another thing to keep in mind is when they say the master cylinders must be level horizontally for bleeding they aren't kidding, you will not get the brakes bled unless you have the cylinders level (trust me I tried).

I neglected to take pictures of the install but next time the aircraft is available I will do this.

I will add the customer is very happy with the system operation :D

I wanted to use the stock reservoir but ended up mounting their units because (in case you have noticed yet) their plumbing is metric :eek:

Did you mount them inside the cabin or on the engine side of the firewall?

Thanks for the info so far!

This particular aircraft had an access panel on the upper skin between the firewall and the windscreen so I mounted them in there, aft of the FW.

Interesting Tim,

Beringer doesn't do it that way anymore. They now remotely mount the reservoirs to the master cylinders now. Your photo certainly helps us see how the MC's go in the pedals however. Thank you.

Nearly there!

So I got another box from Beringer today. I now have MOST of my parts.

I am missing 2 fittings per my itemized quote. It appears that the male-male adapter fittings for the reservoirs were missing from this box.

Tom at Beringer Aero USA is doing a good job at quickly remedying the issue.

Another question for Walt, since he has installed them.

Beringer supplies 2 bulkhead fittings to pass through the firewall (TD) or through the floor (NW). One half has a nut and acorn for connecting to the line and the other has a 37 degree male. However, it does not appear that they provided a means to connect to the 37 degree side in either the fuse or finish kits.

Seems to me that the 37 degree line to female adapter would be a good fit (just like on the reservoirs, parking brake valve), but it appears that I am 2 short and there are no extra parts and no other missing items per the itemized lists in the kits. I think they need to include 2 more of these adapters to make the connections.

Did you have to order more Walt to finish your customers install?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...this stuff is VERY nice.

Oh yes, I remember this dilema, I chose to just eliminate the bulkhead fitting (this was an 'A' model) and just ran one continuous line.

Scott and others,

In conversation with Tom and Claire, it appears that they have changed the connections to the remote reservoirs to banjo fittings over what I have seen in your photos and others. Gotta love evolution.

In order to assist Tom and Claire in making sure I had it all, I laid it out this morning with everything in order minus the lines, discs, and wheels.

20140418_075352.jpg

As you can see, I can now get from the Master Cylinders, all the way through the firewall, to the calipers with the fittings I received. What I cannot do currently is get from the reservoirs to the Master Cylinders. I am confident that Tom and Claire will change that soon.

Brake kit

Thanks for posting the pic Jason
I plan to lay mine out the same and see if there are missing parts.

Tom and Claire have come through. I now have all the parts.

Now I need to get back to building so I can use them. :D

Berringer

Marco
Beautiful. I am curious. I considered remote mount of the reservoirs. Why did you choose to mount them there? Could they be mounted to the co pilot set? Any reason to do one or the other?

Marco
Beautiful. I am curious. I considered remote mount of the reservoirs. Why did you choose to mount them there? Could they be mounted to the co pilot set? Any reason to do one or the other?

Wirejock,

I installed the two little reservoirs because at the time was the only solution from Beringer.You can install them in either side, pilot or copiloto.I should notice the big washer at the top:It was an initial problem because Beringer did not provide this kind of solution in order to keep separated the reservoirs.
Honestly I don't see any advantage to have them installed, I think the single reservoir on firewall would be the best and easiest installation

BEAUTIFUL Marco! I may just be going stupid, and I'll look tonight when I get back home. But did you have to drill the bolt holes for the anti-lock reservoir's bracket in the center rudder pedal bearing block-to-firewall bracket, or do those already exist?

Larry,

You only have the option to remote mount your reservoirs given the parts you (and I) received. They changed the design some since Marco got his.

Scott,

According to the Mounting Instructions I got from Beringer, the hole pattern in the ALIR bracket matches the bearing block pattern as they have mounted it underneath the bearing block itself. Marco added some angle to the top of that rib and installed his ALIR above.

Marco,

Thanks for the install photos. Looks great!

Last edited:
Back