What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal question

sstellarv10

Well Known Member
I just did an initial install on my rudder pedals and I found that they seem to be pretty tight when you rotate them, especially when the center split block is in place. Is this normal and it will loosen up with time or do I have to try to get them to rotate more freely?

Mine were a slight bit tight when first installed, but loosened up pretty quickly.

Are you pushing with your hand, or feet-----they will feel tight by hand, but just fine with your feet.

thanks Mike, I was pushing with my hands. I figured that would give me a false reading , I just wanted to make sure.

A different opinion....

When I re-worked the brakes and added right-side brakes to my purchased RV-6A, the rudder bars were stiff at first. It was pretty easy to make some adjustments to the delrin support brackets to make them swing free while I still had some access. A bit of filing and sandpaper, and a couple of tweaks.

I like all controls to move as freely as possible.

YMMV, my 10 cents, etc. :)

Rudder bar friction

I agree with Pete, there should be as little friction as possible in all control surfaces so they easily return to neutral in flight and do not put aircraft out of trim.

Thanks Phil, using a washer is what I was going to try tonight because it didnt make any sense that they where as tight as the were.

Back