What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Layout - Advice RV7

Adam W

Well Known Member
Im trying to make a final decision on panel layout Ive decided on Garmin G3X with a GTN650 Navigator, GNC255 backup nav com and PS8000 audio panel, transponder is remote. G5 as well. I have flown for many years but never with a glass set up. transitioning to glass is one issue, but because I have never flown it i don't know the best layout.
the symmetrical layouts appear aesthetically best, ie. 10" screen on pilot side and 10" screen on copilot side the other units stacked in the middle. But is this best in operation? is the copilot screen in the field of view for the pilot?
I have seen setups with two 7.5" portrait style screens on the pilot side, a 10" and a 7.5" on the pilot side then the stack offset to the right. My intention is an IFR machine.
any real world flying advice on this?

Advice

Hi Adam,

If your interested in sitting behind what I have your welcome to do so. I just dropped this off west of you in Thorndale for paint. My advice to you is not to commit to avionics at this point. There will be better and cheaper by time your ready.

https://flic.kr/p/Y5XgL1

Last edited:
Jeff

Thank you for that offer. Ill look up where thorndale is.
can I ask what was your thought process on the two portrait style screens vs 10"?
do you find the reach to the COMs easy?

some days i feel like im not that far away, and some days it feels like there is so much building to do yet

I installed 8.4" screen from Advanced Flight. I believe it was the best compromise from loosing a lot of panel real estate with 10" and better viewing than the 7". But many folks have installed 10" in RV-7s.

One suggestion, I used UpNorthAviation, an advertiser here on VAF. Bill does CAD drawings of panels and can cut your panel if you want that service. He knows the dimensions of most equipment on the market. As we went through the panel layout process he would send me a full-scale PDF. I printed it out and taped it to my panel so I could sit in the seat and view it. That allowed me to make several changes that I probably would not have noticed viewing the PDF on the computer screen.

In the end I shipped him the panel and he cut it out for me. Well worth the price.

Panels

Since the standard 6-pack, EFIS panels seem to have evolved more into personal preference. Check out the panel stickey on the RV7/7A page. Start from the back (newest equipment) and work your way forward. There are some amazing examples. See what floats your boat.

I found the panel layout for my 7 to be very challenging due to the variety of equipment and layouts. In the end, after selecting my EFIS (10" Dynon Skyview) BU instruments, comm, xponder etc. I just experimented with printouts on the panel until I came up with what worked for me. I know there is panel builder software and CAD programs you can use but that was too much for this old guy. In the end I am very happy with how mine turned out.

Enjoy the experience!
Al

Adam, email me and I will send you pictures of my panel. G3x 10" touch - mounted next to each other with the A/P panel and radio in front of the passenger. I am just getting ready to fly so I can't give that experience.

Like others said, dont commit to panel stuff until all else is done. You can wire for all the servos, lights, and other crapola, to keep moving forward, but everything is better or cheaper within 3-6 months.

Have fun.

Check out the panel on the demo RV-14 -- dual G3X touch, GTN750. I've got similar in my RV-9A except 650. G5 has an internal battery backup, and then all you need is a panel mount (removable is okay) for a handheld GPS. A laptop is not going to work if you have to use it for navigation in the clouds in an emergency.

Also, pay lots of attention to your switches -- don't put them all in a row. Design your checklist and switch layouts at the same time, remembering that you have all the time in the world on the ground, so design your switches for best utilization in flight.

Ed

Adam, is there anyone on your field that has gone the IFR approval process with TC for their homebuilt. Would be well worth your time to find out what they had to do to qualify their installation. As with most things... Canada is different!

Folks that have done it here in our corner of the country have always got the council of the local TC Airframe Maintenance Inspector charged with Amateur Built Airworthiness matters. TC was, in every case I heard of, had been very helpful guiding my friends thru the ?Canadian? requirements of sight lines, approved equipment, annunciators, switching, power & b / u power supplies, nav source selection, a/p coupling .... etc, etc.

The MD-RA inspection (as far as I understand it) gives you a CofA good for VFR operations only. Aerobatic, weight increases, major equipment changes & IFR qualifications & what ever else, are all handled as additions to your CofA by TC. Would be a non-event getting approved if they were involved in the planning of it.
Good luck with your project.

Recommend front and center for the PIC. Good line of sight. Easily to operate both EFIS. I love this set-up. Jesse Saint did the layout design and great install!

See before and after pics at "http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=140508."

Robert
RV7

thank you

thanks to all for the advice
Robert that panel looks great. the field of view is certainly awesome for both screens. i need to consider the reach to the com. from experience i know that ill reach for frequency changes more often than (i think) i will for the EFIS. ive never flown with EFIS screens
ill sit in my fuse tomorrow and consider the length of reach to the GTN if it where on the right side of center like yours.

Back