What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for reviews on trig 96a

JackZ

Well Known Member
I am considering a trig 96a radio for my rv 15 project. The concern is the intercom. Does any one know how good they are? They seem to have a good feature set for a reasonable price.

I have the Trig TY91 compact radio which probably has the same intercom - you might want to check with Trig. I flew with a passenger that had a very basic headset, and it was hard to adjust the intercom squelch that worked ok with my Bose and the cheap headset. There is only one setting for both. I decided to order another Bose so I'll have two similar headsets - I hope that works.

If both headsets are the same, this will probably not be an issue for you.

Trig TY 91

I also have the Trig TY 91 in my RV4. I'm very happy with the performance of both the radio and the built in intercom. For the previous poster, both headsets are high quality ANR (Bose and Lightspeed) so it is likely a better headset will solve the intercom squelch mis match issue.

I have the Trig TY91 compact radio which probably has the same intercom - you might want to check with Trig. I flew with a passenger that had a very basic headset, and it was hard to adjust the intercom squelch that worked ok with my Bose and the cheap headset. There is only one setting for both. I decided to order another Bose so I'll have two similar headsets - I hope that works.

If both headsets are the same, this will probably not be an issue for you.

Remember the squelch only cares about the mike-its gain and noise canceling. Not much you can do about the latter, but most mikes have a screw to adjust the gain. They should all be the same.

I have two aircraft with TY91's (the round radio). Trig transceivers are fantastic radios that just work and simple to use. The built-in intercom in the TY91 is "okay" but personally I would always pair a TY91 with a quality feature-rich external intercom or audio panel. But it looks like the newer TY96a you are considering has a better intercom that the older TY91 so maybe Trig listened to that very feedback. I would compare the TY96a with the Garmin GTR 200B in so far as price and features. I think the GTR 200 (non-Bluetooth) will come in $550 cheaper than the TY96a and the GTR 200B (Bluetooth) will come in $425 cheaper than the TY96a. I have experience with the GTR 200 and 200B and they are marvelous. I have no experience with the TY96a intercom but would expect nothing short of stellar results on the VHF comms side based on my TY91 experience.

I have emailed Trig with a few questions about the intercom specifically. I will post again when I get a reply. The cost vs the garmin gtr 200 is in Canada I can get the Trig for less than the non Bluetooth gtr200 and lots less than the Bluetooth model. The Trig plays nicer with others in the panel, in this case grt

According to Trig the intercom has been improved with a software update. I have been invited to check one out at a dealer, who happens to be 20 minutes by air from here.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with the Trig. The company itself is very innovative and smart. The equipment is well made, robust and simple to operate. And their support is excellent. In the USA Trig support is handled by Mid Continent Instrument and they are easy to talk to and have Trig equipment down. I sent two TY91's in to Mid Continent for free software updates. Smooth and friendly.

Back