What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X- SXM or not?

pilot2512

Well Known Member
Almost time to purchase the G3X touch and was wondering if the Sirius XM is worth having? I have never flown with this service. Will ADS-B and TIS make it obsolete. My mission will be cross country IFR capable. Would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks.

I have flown with both and, if you're going to be doing much hard IFR, I would highly recommend having XM. ADS-B weather can be rather slow and times, particularly, the radar.

IMHO it all depends on how you feel about the monthly fee for XM. If this is "in the noise", then get it. If it will bother you to pay every month, then don't get it. Truth is that both XM and ADSB radar have an unknown (to you) time delay. Neither should be used for close-in, tactical avoidance. Both are adequate for long range, strategic planning. Beyond 300 nm ADSB only shows large pixels, XM looks better. But it's just looks. Even at RV speeds that's more than an hour and a half away, and it will change before you get there.

Different packages

Really depends on which package you go with. Here is the matrix for each package. Personally, I rather use ADSB for free as a guideline to help with my decisions during the flight so delays will not effect my decisions (unless it's delayed for an hour and gives me the wrong info).

Really a personal preference and your comfort level.

get it

Absolutely get it. Its 600 extra and you can't add it later, at least without buying a whole new GDU465. For anyone staying/camping in remote areas where cell service is basically non-existent, odds are you won't be getting ADSB coverage until you get well into the air because of terrain blocking you. For me, this is where the XM shines.

Additionally when flying cross country, having cloud tops images really helps out. It has been amazingly accurate for me, and has helped me stay ahead of things when flying long XC against the weather, usually west.

The only case I could see where it may not be worth it would be if you take day trips and you never venture west of the Mississippi. Also remember you can suspend the service when you are not using it, I only have it active for the 6 months when I am doing long XC and backcountry camping.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/ICM/

http://www.siriusxm.com/sxmaviation this shows the differences between the different packages and ADS-B.

Also there is a $200 rebate if you activate service and buy the hardware the same year. I know many won't be able to pull this off, but I was able to do it last year when it was a $250 rebate.

btw, I only do VFR

Last edited:
Back