What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder clearance with VS

Sportquattro

Well Known Member
My rudder touches the trailing edge of the skins on the vertical stabiliser it it a common issue? Thinking best fix is to slightly bend the trailing edge of the vertical stabiliser skins slight outward to give clearance. Estimate about 1.5 mm reqd. Thoughts welcome. I have tried adjusting the attachment eyes but to no avail

Rudder Interference

Trust me, you want to install hard stops for the rudder down at the bottom of the rudder because if not, the rudder WILL hit the elevator tips if moved in the wind, or accidently while tying down, etc before you can get some kind of rudder lock in place. I could send you pictures of my before (dents in the rudder) and after I installed the hard rudder stops.
Ed

Rudder stops

Unless you plan on building a new rudder, as said above, install rudder stops NOW! I have about 3/4”gap between rudder and elevator edge when against the stop (s).
Hope that helps

Jim Diehl 7A

He is talking about clearance between the rudder and vertical stabilizer, not the elevator.

The trailing edge skins on the vertical stab will probably need to be trimmed. But before you do, make sure you have the hinge rod-end bearings adjusted properly. And respect the amount of rudder travel required.

Do not bend the trailing edge of the skins outward.

He is talking about clearance between the rudder and vertical stabilizer, not the elevator.

The trailing edge skins on the vertical stab will probably need to be trimmed. But before you do, make sure you have the hinge rod-end bearings adjusted properly. And respect the amount of rudder travel required.

Do not bend the trailing edge of the skins outward.

Thanks Mike. What’s best method to use to trim the trailing edge skins?

An extra turn or two out on the hinge?

Why not just put an extra turn or two on the hinge rod ends, as long as they stays in limits? Check with the mothership of course...

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. What’s best method to use to trim the trailing edge skins?

A vixen file works well for something like this because it is quicker than a smoothing file, it keeps the edge straight, and the edge doesn't get kinked up as can occur with tin snips.

Last edited:
Install the rudder stops then adjust then adjust the rod ends.

Guys the rudder stops are fitted and the issue is just that on full deflection the front top of the rudder just rubs on the trailing edge skin of the vertical stabiliser. It’s very slight and I was initially thing that I could simply tweak the VS skin trailing edge fractionally to stop it rubbing but apparently not though I don’t fully understand why. Looking like a file is needed. Unless anyone knows a better way. Adjusting the eyes out didn’t work.

File - or just get new skins.

If his skins are too long, and they are touching the rudder at full deflection, getting new skins and reskinning the VS is NOT going to change a thing, he’ll end up with the same interference.

Guys the rudder stops are fitted and the issue is just that on full deflection the front top of the rudder just rubs on the trailing edge skin of the vertical stabiliser. It’s very slight and I was initially thing that I could simply tweak the VS skin trailing edge fractionally to stop it rubbing but apparently not though I don’t fully understand why. Looking like a file is needed. Unless anyone knows a better way. Adjusting the eyes out didn’t work.

If you bend the skins out, you will have an aerodynamic “step” like a speedbrake on the VS that’s always extended. Just trim it if you can’t adjust the bearings..

If you bend the skins out, you will have an aerodynamic “step” like a speedbrake on the VS that’s always extended. Just trim it if you can’t adjust the bearings..

That’s interesting I wouldn’t have imagined bending the skins out a fraction (circa 1/32” I’d estimate maximum needed ) would have has a measurable effect.

I believe you should take a good look at the measurements for all three bearing bolts, See note one, R2 on DWG 7, Rudder, RV-7-9. If any of them are off it could cause the problem you are having.

Use Vixen File

After assuring yourself you have correct adjustment on bearings, just trim the ends of the vertical stabilizer skin with a Vixen file. Nice long strokes. If it only touches at full deflection you shouldn't need much off.

Back