What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ENGINE PRE-HEATERS

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

I just bought a Switchbox and I will need to install a Preheater Pad on the sump on my RV-4 and was wondering which one do you guys would recommend...

I don't fly the aircraft in the winter so one for Fall temperature will be good enough

I'm leaning toward the Reiffs or the E-Z Heat....

Thank you for your advise

Bruno

E-Z heat for me

I live in MN and have the E-Z heat sump heater on my IO-360 A1A. My oil temp was always in the 90's even down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Sump heater was easy to install. I also use the switch box and turn the heater on the night before I plan to go flying. I also cover the cowl with two moving blankets and have cowl plugs.

Mark

When I was up north I loved my Reiff heater!

Cyl, oil cool and sump for the cold NY winters.

Still got it installed....but it just doesn't get that cold anymore :D

I installed Reiff due to its temp limiting feature. Also got the cylinder bands. Nice construction and instructions. It is not flying yet, but fully expect to meet website reported performance.

EZ Heater

I use the EZ Heat Engine Preheater from Aircraft Spruce on my engine with the cell phone SwitchBox. I turn it on 2-hours before I want to fly and typically have 80 degree oil temp in the runup area before takeoff.

NAPA makes a cheaper version but some are without the 3-wire ground plug.

I believe that the EZ Heat I have is 200W so something similar that is 200W should work.

I am using a oil pan heater for a tractor on my oil sump, same as the E-Z heat set up. Works great, purchased from Amazon. I use a simple timer that turns it on 3 hrs before I want to go. if you cover the cowling with a blanket the whole engine will be warm and happy.

I am using an oil pan heater off amazon and a cell phone switch similar to the switchbox but 1/4 the price and has 3 individually controlled outlets. Total cost $70 and works flawlessly

Back