What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Remote Compass mounted to tray??

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I was thinking about mounting my remote compass to the D100 mounting tray. This would assure it is aligned with the unit. My only question is, do you think the remote compass will be affected by the microair radio and other wires that will be right next to the remote compass? Has anyone tried this mounting location?

Haven't tried it, but I suspect that there would be interference. IIRC, Dynon suggests mounting in the tail (which I did) or out in the wing. Both locations away from any ferrous metal.

To be sure, call Dynon and ask.

Greg

I did post the same question on the dynon forum, but i thought I would see if there was any real world data out there about mounting in this location.

Dynon EDC-10A Mounting location

I tried the same type of installation using a fabricated tray for the back of the EFIS-D10A. With power on and normal systems activated, the compass still gave acceptable indications (within 5 degrees of mag compass). However, when I transmitted on either com radio, had 40 degree heading swings. I ended up mounting in a location islolated from all significant load carrying electrical wires by at least 12 inches and the heading information is rock solid and spot-on with the mag compass all the time regardless of electrical load, on/off, transmisions, etc.

I used a Sears digital level to check the alignment in pitch and roll with the EFIS-D10A and got it within 0.3 degrees in roll and 0.2 degrees in pitch. Yaw alignment does not seem to be as critical as roll/pitch since you have the ability to correct that in the EFIS to EDC calibration procedure.

Reggie

Back