What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhead Console Thoughts?

douglassmt

Well Known Member
I am at the point where I need to decide how I'll finish the inside of my cabin. I've seen the nice overhead consoles (Aerosport, etc) but would be interested in opinions from those who have installed such things and those who haven't. I won't have air conditioning or OH DVDs (a pretty obvious reason to consider it). As I ponder it, here are the pros and cons:

Pros
1. Very nice looking, professional finish feature
2. Nice locations for overhead lighting, DVD players, etc.
3. Nice locations for overhead supplemental air vents.
4. Allows routing of whatever from tail cone to front overhead rather than subfloor. Now or in the future.
5. Allows installation of things in the future.

Cons:
1. Expensive to buy (or time consuming to build yourself)
2. Added weight
3. Wires for OH lighting can be routed under headliner (?), so not necessarily needed for that.
4. Added effort to install (how much, I don't know)

I would value thoughts from others. If I missed another thread on this topic, just let me know. I bought a 1995 Jimmy OH console like I saw in one post, but it is heavy, not long enough to go from front to back, and the fit would take some work (I don't like it). If I don't end up using it, I'd give it to someone for the cost of shipping. Cost me $30 plus shipping.

Last edited:
I think that you'll find that most would rather have one although if you decided against it's certainly liveable. Biggest benefit is that you can have air vents that you can direct toward your face/head. Most of us don't do a lot of night flying so the benefit from having lights up there is minimal. cable routing is a real benefit only for an antenna that is going to be on top of the fiberglass top. For things aft of the baggage bulkhead it's just as easy to run them through the sides.

I wouldn't give my OH console up though! FWIW, I've got the rear seat headset jacks, aux music input and a 12v outlet in an OH panel.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Cons:
2. Added weight
3. Wires for OH lighting can be routed under headliner (?), so not necessarily needed for that.
4. Added effort to install (how much, I don't know)

Admittedly, I'm a little biased, but......

2. Aerosport's carbon fiber overhead is pretty light. I don't know the exact weight, but it's probably a tenth of what the fiberglass ones weigh. I will admit it?s not the cheapest thing in the world. Carbon fiber is expensive, but the value is its weight (Or lack thereof).

3. Yep, but that would look rather tacky, unless rather heavy material or backing.

4. Pretty darn easy to install. I know the engineering and design effort that Geoff and Cliff at Aerosport did to ensure a proper fit and finish. The carbon is so thin, if you are putting in a headliner, you probably can get away without filling in and smoothing the joints.

So I agree with all your pros and disagree with some of the cons. Like Bob mentioned, people like the capability of having fresh air blow on their face. This is especially important if you ever give a ride with somebody that gets motion sickness.

Remember, I did tell you I was biased. It?s my pink cabin cover in Geoff?s brochures. Add in Aerosport?s panels, new naca vent controller, and their other top secret new products and you?ll have an interior that will compare to any luxury car. All kidding aside. Aerosport?s products will save you a ton of time and they look good too.

bob

Hi Bryan,
I had several of the same thoughts as you listed in your pros/cons. In my case I decided that I might be able to save a little money by designing my own. So that's what I ended up doing, and I am happy (so far) with the results.

http://www.rvten.com/finish7.asp

My version is not that much different from the commercially available consoles. Mine uses aluminum inserts for the lights, vents, and switches.

I'm not a fiberglass wizard by any stretch of the imagination, but I have learned a few things along the way, and this overhead console project has given me a lot of respect for the glass gurus out there.

Last edited:
Good points

Thanks guys - appreciate your thoughts. I'm pretty sure I don't want to make my own, and I will be flying at night so I'll want overhead lighting in the back seats. I have no doubt about the quality/light weight of the Aerosport product. Just need to get over the cost of it or be happy without one I guess...

One thing about the OH consoles is that you'll need to feed air for the vents. There have been a couple ways but most common now seems to be a pair of NACA vents on the tailcone just aft of the baggage bulkhead. You will find that this provides a LOT of air pressure. Net result is that the OH vents wind up being only partially opened and then you're getting high pressure air shooting at you and it can break squelch on some headset mics. Geoff Combs (AeroSport) has come up with a solution that is about as close to perfect as you can get. It's a small servo controlled pair of butterfly valves that allow you to close the airfeed off a bit which makes a huge difference in comfort. It has a single knob that you can mount anywhere (mine is going in the OH console itself) and allows continuous adjustment from closed to full open.

I had thought about this very thing and in fact had already purchased a couple of butterfly valves to cobble something together and then Geoff put together a full product offering. I haven't yet gotten mine mounted in the final state but am already appreciating the benefit.

I will absolutely concur with Bob L's statement about Geoff's interior products - he was camped near us at OSH last year and brought along some of the prototype stuff. I think he spent about 30% of his time wiping up drool from the other RV-10 builders! http://www.aerosportproducts.com/index.htm

Disclaimer - I'm testing one of Geoff's vent controller prototypes but have no financial interest in the product or company.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

I haven't flown yet but I installed Aerosport's overhead console. I was really impressed with the quality and the initial fit on the cabin top. I believe it only weighs 2.5 pounds vs. around 9.5 pounds for the older one. The console lip is very thin and easy to transition into the cabin.

Back