What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Club Insurance

keith6261

Hey Guys, I'm currently in a club that owns a Citabria and we are in the process of purchasing an RV 8 but our insurance agent cannot find anyone to insure the club with an experimental airplane. Any ideas? Thanks

Well, if anyone can, Jenny (Gallagher agency) can. Be prepared to answer questions like, ‘Is your club non-profit?’ ‘Do you hold out to the public as having planes to rent?’ ‘Who (ratings, time in type) will be allowed to fly this plane?’

We have an RV-3 that is co-owned by four people and insured through Gallagher.

How many pilots will share the RV-8? We had an A&P IA fly the plane after we bought it and he was able to fly it on the insurance policy as an occasional pilot. Adding him as a named pilot would have complicated things as the underwriter had some sort of issue going above four named pilots. I don’t recall what their issue was, but that may be why you are having trouble.

Keith

Is it an equity or non-equity club? I hear non-equity clubs have trouble getting insurance for experimental aircraft.

Hey Guys, I'm currently in a club that owns a Citabria and we are in the process of purchasing an RV 8 but our insurance agent cannot find anyone to insure the club with an experimental airplane. Any ideas? Thanks

Have you contact EAA for their advice. The club that many EAA members at Oshkosh have multiple experimental airplanes and I think they can give your club more guidance on the subject.

Back