What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Putting the RV10 in the parking spot

Lemos

I’m finding the RV10 to be a real <deleted>/pig to move around. It’s so heavy! Any tips or tricks to get this <deleted> in her parking spot without running her into anything? Do guys use a electric tow bar of some variety?

[Edited per DR's Rule #4 - language should be appropriate for young children]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...

Anyhow. Tow bar? Tug?

http://besttugs.com certainly do the trick.

Thanks. I’m trying not to buy a tug because I spent so much money on this airplane that my account is pretty low. Should improve here in a few months. I find it easier to pull than push. Another idea, I am wondering if I could use the winch on my truck to pull the airplane into the spot from the tail tie down hook. Does the lack of nose wheel steering make this impossible?

Thanks. I’m trying not to buy a tug because I spent so much money on this airplane that my account is pretty low. Should improve here in a few months. I find it easier to pull than push. Another idea, I am wondering if I could use the winch on my truck to pull the airplane into the spot from the tail tie down hook. Does the lack of nose wheel steering make this impossible?

The tail tie down isn't going to hold up if you use it as a hard point for towing. It is designed for vertical, not horizontal loads.

If you could pull the airplane into the parking spot, you could use a winch for that, but if you're having to "reverse" into a spot, a tug, practice, and a little bodybuilding would each help in some way.

My 12 year olds have no problem pushing and pulling our -10 around, here moving the bird across the airport to another hangar. You might check tire air pressure.

Attachments

• 9E0F0339-9157-4559-8B10-5307CB6BF42E.jpg
    9E0F0339-9157-4559-8B10-5307CB6BF42E.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
The "I just spent a wad of money feeling" you are have goes away quickly after the -10 purchase. The prescription for it is lots of flying. Avgas is the cheapest part of owning an airplane.

There are others that have remote winchs mounted in the back of their hangar that steer the nose wheel with a tow bar while operating the winch. You cannot drag the 10 backwards without steering the nose simultaneously. Bogert makes a really nice collapsible towbar that works fantastic. https://bogertaviation.com/collections/bogi-bars-aircraft-tow-bars-and-tow-bar-accessories/products/bogi-bars-nose-wheel-aircraft
I travel with it always because while it is possible to push the airplane and steer it with pressure left and right, the towbar makes it so much easier.

One thing to note is that pulling the airplane by hand/towbar is a great time to "feel" the air pressure in the tires. You will get accustomed to how proper tire pressure rolls.

I bought a good used EZ-40 gas tug for $600 off Craigslist and haven't looked back. They require either a purchased adapter for the -10 or a little modification on your part.
RV-10 adapters for EZ-40 Tug - VAF Forums
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?p=1414290&nojs=1

What Tim said

I have a battery-powered Power Tow that I used on the -10, which was adequate, but the gasoline powered one has more push. I use my tow on the -6A now, and we have a decent incline to the hangar -- could not do it without the tug.

Ron

:) I know the feeling. Just spend the money on a Best Tugs A3, you won't regret it. Better maneuverability than any other tug I've tried, except maybe the A5. It has plenty of power and endurance too.

Lenny

I’m finding the RV10 to be a real <deleted>/pig to move around. It’s so heavy! Any tips or tricks to get this <deleted> in her parking spot without running her into anything? Do guys use a electric tow bar of some variety?

Find a cheap used riding lawnmower and set it up as a tug. I picked one up for $100, without the mower deck, and it works great. :cool:

Plane and Tug.jpg

Back