VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 12-17-2020, 10:23 PM
tdragger1966 tdragger1966 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 23
Default What's next? Fuse or wings?

Hey folks, still new to this and wondering...

Just purchased a mostly completed tail kit for an RV-10 from another builder and have to decide what kit to order next. Was thinking that the fuse kit would make sense because it attaches to the tail cone and can get working on things like wiring but then I'd have to store them both (two car garage) until ready to join the wings. If I order the wing kit next I can store those until I get the fuse but does it help to have the fuse done so I can test fit the spars, etc.

Any thoughts on what you would do?

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2020, 10:40 PM
RVFan671 RVFan671 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Seattle
Posts: 51
Default

I bought a used emp and completed everything including mounting the tail fetters and fiberglass then moved to fuse. I'm doing it because there is not much to do with the wings til you bolt them up in a hangar so rather not tie up the money there. Not sure if I'll do finish kit before wings but I'm trying to wait to the last possible moment to buy engine, prop and avionics. I fortunately have my dads shop to store all parts when I'm done so I can keep the small 2 car garage clean.
__________________
Bought an O-360 RV4 to fly while building a -10.
Emp completed September 2020
Fuse started October 2020
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2020, 02:00 AM
mike newall's Avatar
mike newall mike newall is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,140
Default

I am deep into a slow build fuselage, this is my 5th RV, so not a beginner. If I were doing it again, I would order slow wings now and get on with them and put a quick build fuselage on order. By the time you have done the wings, the fuse will be ready and it will give you a massive boost towards your finished goal.
__________________
"I add a little excitement, a little spice to your lives, and all you do is complain!" - Q

Donated in 2020
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2020, 05:20 PM
tdragger1966 tdragger1966 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
I am deep into a slow build fuselage, this is my 5th RV, so not a beginner. If I were doing it again, I would order slow wings now and get on with them and put a quick build fuselage on order. By the time you have done the wings, the fuse will be ready and it will give you a massive boost towards your finished goal.
Interesting idea. I definitely want to do the wings myself as I've heard the QB fuel tanks tend to leak. Have to think about whether I want to do both. Since I bought the tail I weirdly feel like I missed out on some quality deburring and riveting time!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2020, 05:22 PM
tdragger1966 tdragger1966 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFan671 View Post
I bought a used emp and completed everything including mounting the tail fetters and fiberglass then moved to fuse. I'm doing it because there is not much to do with the wings til you bolt them up in a hangar so rather not tie up the money there. Not sure if I'll do finish kit before wings but I'm trying to wait to the last possible moment to buy engine, prop and avionics. I fortunately have my dads shop to store all parts when I'm done so I can keep the small 2 car garage clean.
That's what I was thinking originally. Do the wings next and then have more parts to find a storage location for until everything gets bolted together...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2020, 07:20 PM
tdragger1966 tdragger1966 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 23
Default Welp, lead times...

I just checked back in with the Van's website and (I think this changed recently) the lead time for RV-10 fuse kits is now 5 months (while the wings are still 14 weeks). Now thinking I just order both and some time next year I will have plenty to work on!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2020, 07:32 PM
Weefle Weefle is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Vernon BC
Posts: 82
Default

Just got an email from Vans....there are QC issues with the fuselage kits and they will be delayed 6-8 weeks. Not good news if you are ready to start on it.

Keith
__________________
____________________________________________

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2022
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2020, 08:29 PM
KarlieBo3 KarlieBo3 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Quincy, Washington
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdragger1966 View Post
I just checked back in with the Van's website and (I think this changed recently) the lead time for RV-10 fuse kits is now 5 months (while the wings are still 14 weeks). Now thinking I just order both and some time next year I will have plenty to work on!
This plan gives you the most optionality. Who knows, the fuse kits might even come in early ... It happened to me recently with a Swedish blacksmith hammer that I ordered.

Last edited by KarlieBo3 : 01-07-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.