What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling Wing Walk Doublers and Skins

Ender

Howdy everyone, hope your staying safe.

Curious how many folks dimpled instead of countersunk the wing skins, wing walk doublers, and ribs in lieu of countersinking.

Something that concerns me is that the wing is 0.32 and the doubler is 0.25, and having the dimples not be tight, or work loose over time.

Also was thinking about using the substructure dies on the doubler and rib.

Any info from folks who have done this and been “walking” on them a bunch would be much appreciated!

For what its worth, I dimpled the skin, the doubler and the rib using my DRDT-2. I am building an RV-7. They came out very nice and smooth.

Last row

The very last row of dimples (the one above the rear spar) I gave 2 lightish turns of the countersink cutter to get the three [?] layers to all sit together perfectly. I took very little material off but just enough to get the doubler to sit perfectly.

The very last row of dimples (the one above the rear spar) I gave 2 lightish turns of the countersink cutter to get the three [?] layers to all sit together perfectly. I took very little material off but just enough to get the doubler to sit perfectly.

I didn't think the wing walk doublers go over the rear spar? (they end short of the spar).

I didn't think the wing walk doublers go over the rear spar? (they end short of the spar).

The doubler extends slightly over the rear spar. The rivet call-out show longer rivets at the rear spar at the doubler location.

Attachments

• doubler1.JPG
    doubler1.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 219
  • doubler2.JPG
    doubler2.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 246
Dimple them

As a second time builder I highly recommend dimpling the wing walk skins (and also the rear baffle of the fuel tanks when you get to that point). They will be stronger, look nicer, easier to do, and less likely to fret over time.

Back