What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WX Damage at McKinney (TKI)

mike

Some of the hangars and planes at McKinney (KTKI) were damaged by the storms that moved through here last night.

Several planes were severely damaged. Our hangar escaped damage by only about one hangar length.

Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS - Flying (www.my9a.com)
RV-10 - #576 - Fuselage (www.rvten.com)

P4100087.jpg

P4100088.jpg

P4100091.jpg

P4100092.jpg

P4100093.jpg

P4100094.jpg

Mike,
Can you tell how the hangar doors failed? They look similar to mine and I'm curious as what the weak link was and how they might be temporarily reinforced if heavy weather was expected.

Last edited:
Mike,
Can you tell how the hangar doors failed? They look similar to mined and I'd be curious as what the weak link was and how they might be temporarily reinforced if heavy weather was expected.
It looks like the wind got up under the roof and lifted it enough so the doors were no longer engaging the rails along the top.

Mike

i was wondering how you faired this morning when i heard the news reports. good to hear you came out ok. the damage was much heavier in spots. one area i drove through this morning i would say that about 10% of the trees lost a limb that was 4" or bigger with about 1/4 of those either loosing more than half or being completely blown over. they were not all bradford pears but to be fair a good many were.
leon

Door failure

Here's one more picture. This is from inside of the hangar. You can see here that the door is leaning awkwardly because it is not on the track. Fortunately this door didn't fall in! The airport workers came around with a lift and got this door back on track within about 10 minutes. The others will take a while...:(

P4100082.jpg

Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS - Flying (www.my9a.com)
RV-10 - #576 - Fuselage (www.rvten.com)

I was out of town, trying to get back to DFW when this happened (Yes, I had a ticket on AA from PDX - a city served only by MD80s in the AA system) when I got a call from my hangar neighbor with the news.

ADS got a good amount of damage. My hangar is down off the papa taxiway and I am on the back side of the first row of t-hangars by the runway. On the t-hangars facing the runway, several doors were blown in or ripped off. The roof peeled back on a couple of the hangars and one had the roof structure crushed.

I tried to get some photos when I finally got back and checked on my hangar, but they didn't turn out (9p). I'll get some Sunday when I'm back in the area (at my company's Home Office in BTR today and tomorrow).

NWS indicated that the damage in the Plano / Frisco area was consistent with 70 mph straight-line winds. My house (Plano) lost some fence and about 1/3 of one tree.

TODR

Back