What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Creative Air landing Lights

npowell

Well Known Member
I read a couple of brief posts, but am curious about your experience with installing and using Creative Air wingtip landing lights. I'm thinking of changing my plan from Duckworks to Creative Air. Thanks for any input.

Neal
RV-9A
Working on wings

I've seen several nice installs at airshows, but I haven't started my own project yet. However, at this point, CreativeAir is what I plan to go with. I really don't want to cut into the leading edge. Just my personal preference.

I installed RMS tip landing lights

The thing I like about them is I was able to enclose the nav and strobe lights inside the lens satisfy the FAA lighting requirements (angles and such) and still have enough space to avoid heat damage problems with the lens. This choice was for drag minimization. I haven't looked at any new systems. By the way, the clearance for heat purposes is not an idle thought.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for replies

Bob, RMS sounds familiar, but I don't know who they are. I did a quick Google search, but it wasn't helpful. Any information?

OK, but not Great....

I put the Creativair lights (2" halogens) in from the start, because I didn't really want to cut into my QB leading edges. Once you get the kit, you'll be surprised at how little material you get for the price - I am not advocating stealing someone else's design, because they are entitled to sell anything they want for whatever they can get, but if I wanted to do the same thing again, it would be easy to duplicate.

The bottom line is that it is nice to have the little streamlined lights in the tip, but they really don't give very much light. I generally get more help from the runway lights than from the landing lights. they are adequate, but just barely - if you like lots of light, these are not for you.

I have thought about converting to HID's in the same space, but haven't decided on spending the money yet.

Paul

They were located in Oregon

They were located in Oregon, I think in Hillsboro. I don't have any of my documentation at home anymore unfortunately. They used to be listed in the back of Van's catalog. ~410 hrs and what little night flying I do no problems. I'm going on memory quite a bit now but maybe later today I'll have more information.

Bob Axsom

VAN'S WINGTIP LIGHT KIT

I just finished installing the wingtip kit from Van's. It looks like it will be a neat installation once I get it cleaned up and painted.

rv7wingtiplights1ed7.jpg

dsc00472ex9.jpg

THe company was RMD

The company was RMD not RMS. The address was RMD Aircraft Lighting, 3548 SE Roanoake Ct. Hillsboro, OR 97124; Phone:503-681-0685 My tips are Hoerner style and I do not know the current situation of RMD or whether they developed lights for the new style tips. The basic instalation shown by Jetcowboy previously has a lot of similar features although the landing lights are different. One thing to consider is if you ever change tips for any reason the lights will not be usable as is and if you have racing tips like I do for day VFR races you will be grounded inroute if you don't make it home before dark. With the landing lights in the leading edge you would still have the NAV/strobe lights to deal with but that is a smaller problem.

Bob Axsom

I got the landing/taxi lights for my 9A. Easy to install (not flying yet so not comments on performance) but I agree that they are pretty pricey for what you get. Same goes for their marker/strobe combo - easy to install but pricey.

greg

Keep the Duckworks Lights

If I was you I'd keep the Duckworks lights. I just installed his lights in the leading edge of the my wings and it was really no big deal. I used a $20 air body saw from Harbor Freight to do the cutting with the template provided. Yes, it does take a little time but I'm sure you'll be much happier in the long run. I'm not familiar with the other brand but they look like the under the counter lights in my kitchen. You should compare the light output specs of the bulbs. Also the Duckworks round reflectors probably had about 3 times the surface area than those other little ones.

I upgraded to the new low-cost 35 watt HID bulbs that Duckworks has now. I live in the country and took them outside for a test. They would clearly light up the top of the trees that were about 1000 feet away and were brighter than the 100 watt halogen. I mounted the ballast on the back of the light mounting plate. I turned them on in the shop one day for over an hour for a test and the ballast got warm but wasn't too hot to touch. You'll get a lot more light with the 35 watt HID than the halogen and have less current draw (smaller wire and breaker also).

By the way, I saw the Duck take off from Scappoose airport last Saturday morning with his new HID bulbs installed. I was about 3000 feet down the way down the runway at the time. When he pulled out onto the runway for departure with the lights in Wig-Wag mode there was no way you wouldn't see him coming. Quite impressive.

Why not both?

Haven't fired them up yet but I put Duckworks in both leading edges for landing lights and Creative Air in both tips for taxi lights. Duckwork's lights were easy to install in the leading edge - I spent less time on them than getting the Creative Air lights installed. I think it will be easy for me to be seen by others in the pattern and on the ground!

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB
never ending panel wiring

Mine work fine

I installed the combination landing light/position light kits in my RV-9A wingtips and am installing the same in my RV-10. The best thing is that the whole setup fits inside the dome of the wingtip.

http://www.my9a.com/lights.asp

You may get more light from two Duckworks lights, but the light from my two Halogens is plenty for the kind of flying I do.

Mike Schipper
RV-9A - N63MS - Flying (www.my9a.com)
RV-10 - #576 - Fuselage (www.rvten.com)

Back