What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lock nuts on Rudder counterweight Why not Elevator

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Aloha All

Page 07-11 Rev 2 incorporates the Locknuts for the Rudder Lead counterweight. However these changes are not done to the Elevator Counterweights. Since the Nuts end up under riveted fiberglass I was wondering why this was not done on the elevators.

Thoughts

Attachments

• Locknuts.png
    Locknuts.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 161
I did a retrofit on my elevators in a similar manner as the plans show for the rudder. Had to cut a hole in the fairing to get at it...wish I had thought of it before I attached it. I would do it again though. Can’t imagine if one of those weights got loose while I was flying.

I am not clear on what you are saying on the elevators. My elevator plans 9-26 revision (0) are showing the use MS21042-3 lock nuts. Is the thought that these are more likely to come loose than the K1000-3 nut plates called out for the rudder?

I replaced the lock nuts with an aluminum strap (which captures the counterweight) and two nutplates. My concern was that if the lock nuts loosened over time they would only spin with the bolt when I attempted to re-tighten them. Overkill I’m sure...but it pretty much looks like that picture the OP included.

My elevator counter weights are epoxy fiberglassed with micro for a smooth transition. The attachment hardware is embedded within the epoxy. It’s not coming loose. The rudder counter weight is not fiberglassed into the rudder. It’s just covered with the fiberglass cap. Hence the anchor nuts to keep it tight over time.

Back