What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capacitive fuel sender kit

Overkill396

I'm New Here
Hello all,
I can't seem to find any information as to why Van's has stopped offering the plate style capacitive fuel sender's as an option.
Does anyone have any idea why?
I built my 7A with them and they work great (provided appropriate interface electronics are used)
I like the fact that they show all of the usable fuel despite the dihedral in the wing and are very accurate
I am now building a 10 with a group and would like to install this simple and elegant system once again while the tanks are open.
Is anyone offering a kit for the Delrin standoffs to save me from machining my own?

Thanks

Greg Vosper

I imagine they stopped offering them due to the fact that most folks are using some kind of glass panel , with fuel flow sensors that show remaining fuel very accurately. In addition, the capacitive units sold by Vans weren't easily removable for cleaning or maintenance. As for availability, the major vendors (Spruce, Wicks, etc.) show capacitive units on their sites, no idea how well any of these work..

Dielectric constant of AvGas/MoGas mixtures or MoGas with ethanol varies greatly.

If you do decide to install the plates also install a third "reference" plate near the bottom of the tank (inboard bay) -- always covered with fuel.

Someone here started experimenting with a capacity-to-voltage converter with a third (reference) input. If that becomes available you'll be ready.

Finn

Delrin supply Los Angeles

Good morning,

Any advise on buying Delrin for the capacitive fuel level senders in the LA area?
I am presently here for another day during vacation and unfamiliar….
Thank you!
Patrick
RV7A

Back