What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch DataLogs download and management

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
As you know the data download gives you a .csv file that's viewable via Excel.

I usually love the graphic opportunity to use the SavvyAviation website and upload files as I do with my UBG-16 monitor without any issues.

Today I tried to upload a brand new G3X Touch data log (only two flights) into the same website but it returned me an error saying "Log Data: list index out of range".

Do you use any other graphic software to see the Garmin Data?

have you any idea about ?

I usually love the graphic opportunity to use the SavvyAviation website and upload files as I do with my UBG-16 monitor without any issues.

Today I tried to upload a brand new G3X Touch data log (only two flights) into the same website but it returned me an error saying "Log Data: list index out of range".

I’ve gotten errors from savvy before right after they upgrade their software. Ping them about it, they usually have it working next day but they might not know there’s an issue if you don’t tell them.

Hi Luke,

I upload all of my G3X Touch flights into my free FlyGarmin logbook. I have used Savvy in the past, and it should work, but find the FlyGarmin logbook the best for my needs.

Not only does it allow you to graph all your engine parameters, but also shows the primary flight display complete with airspeed/altitude/attitude and autopilot/flight director modes used on the flight.

ACtC-3flQ8DzdOvn6ZpneU__HFe7HfOhtf5TFWQe4BrmGRM7bBqmyqBcLOkotj59h7UhKaM_OoKGgq7ilaN8oMHsPETVgc_551biOQVuDPHknFlxrSzbSWuXQjcmJMsFEnLbMEqvYaZk_LEH7aVkKBKltKXB=w900

Steve

I have uploaded 100's of flights I uploaded to Savvy from my G3x, all no issues. If you have short log, turned the g3x on the ground for a few mins and then turned it off, it will come back as an error. Look at the file size it is usually very very small. (I like getting my "Report Card", from Savvy)
Mark

Luca,

Did you open and close/save the G3x log file in Excel before you tried uploading it to the Savvy website? I did, and even though I didn't change the file at all, the Savvy file reader wouldn't process it. I copied a fresh version of the log from the SD card and it uploaded correctly.

If that's not what you did, disregard this message! :)

HTH

Dave

Luca,

I copied a fresh version of the log from the SD card and it uploaded correctly.

Yes to this. Savvy reads the G3x .csv file directly and will not read the .csv file if saved from Excel.

I've never had any issues with Savvy uploads.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, unfortunately, it does not work.

I’m speaking about a brand new G3X installed, .csv file untouched and imported directly from the SD Card (no excel or other software opening). SD card is formatted as per standard MS-DOS (FAT32). I’ve tried with two different SD card formatted with different computers (Windows OS and Mac OSX)

I tried multiple combinations of computers, browsers, and software (Savvy Analysis / Fly Garmin and CloudAhoy).

The response is: unable to upload, unable to upload check formatting (Firefox browser).

If you are curious to check my original file here :

https://we.tl/t-ZZAWhsqpjp

it’s 30Mb

I love to make it runs, it helps me a lot in the flytest work.

I’ll continue the tribulation ;)

Argh…..

Thank you for your help, unfortunately, it does not work.

I’m speaking about a brand new G3X installed, .csv file untouched and imported directly from the SD Card (no excel or other software opening). SD card is formatted as per standard MS-DOS (FAT32). I’ve tried with two different SD card formatted with different computers (Windows OS and Mac OSX)

I tried multiple combinations of computers, browsers, and software (Savvy Analysis / Fly Garmin and CloudAhoy).

The response is: unable to upload, unable to upload check formatting (Firefox browser).

If you are curious to check my original file here :

https://we.tl/t-ZZAWhsqpjp

it’s 30Mb

I love to make it runs, it helps me a lot in the flytest work.

I’ll continue the tribulation ;)

Argh…..
Luke,

That file will never work.

Instead of flying with an SD card inserted in the display and collecting individual flight files to the card as you fly, you appear to have flown, and then gone into configuration mode and exported the data stored within the display internal memory to one big file on an SD card by using this "Copy to SD Card" button.

NEVER use that button.

Data Log Config.png

Enable SD card data logging and go fly with an SD card installed and try uploading these new flight specific files to Savvy or FlyGarmin. It will work fine.

Steve

Last edited:
Very interesting, thank you ! I'll try. ;)

Luke,

Instead of flying with an SD card inserted in the display and collecting individual flight files to the card as you fly, you appear to have flown, and then gone into configuration mode and exported the data stored within the display internal memory to one big file on an SD card by using this "Copy to SD Card" button.

NEVER use that button.

View attachment 8053

Enable SD card data logging and go fly with an SD card installed and try uploading these new flight specific files to Savvy or FlyGarmin. It will work fine.

Steve

Fly.garmin.com

I have a Garmin Pilot account and after each flight, my flight and engine data automatically syncs to their website that I can view with each log entry. It's a very nice graphical interface and I haven't had to do any export, imports or uploads, so it's easy too.

fly.garmin.com

I have a Garmin Pilot account and after each flight, my flight and engine data automatically syncs to their website that I can view with each log entry. It's a very nice graphical interface and I haven't had to do any export, imports or uploads, so it's easy too.

fly.garmin.com

By what means does it automatically sync to their website?

Hi Luke,

I upload all of my G3X Touch flights into my free FlyGarmin logbook. I have used Savvy in the past, and it should work, but find the FlyGarmin logbook the best for my needs.

Not only does it allow you to graph all your engine parameters, but also shows the primary flight display complete with airspeed/altitude/attitude and autopilot/flight director modes used on the flight.

ACtC-3flQ8DzdOvn6ZpneU__HFe7HfOhtf5TFWQe4BrmGRM7bBqmyqBcLOkotj59h7UhKaM_OoKGgq7ilaN8oMHsPETVgc_551biOQVuDPHknFlxrSzbSWuXQjcmJMsFEnLbMEqvYaZk_LEH7aVkKBKltKXB=w900

Steve

Steve, does the logbook require subscription? Thanks.

By what means does it automatically sync to their website?

Glen,

If you have a mobile device running the FlyGarmin app in the cockpit and connected to your connext enabled G3X aircraft, the app will push the data via LTE/and or Wifi to the Garmin "cloud".

else

You have to plug the SD card from the G3X into a computer and drag/drop the .CSV files to the Fly Garmin Logbook website app.

uploading G3X flight data to FlyGarmin logbook

Hi Luke,

Steve

Hi Steve- your method sounds perfect. Would you indulge this OLD pilot by telling me the steps to achieve it? At 86, I find flying very easy, but my G3X touch demands a lot from my brain. I do know how to use FlyGarmin for software and Db updates. Thanks. Ben

Hi Steve- your method sounds perfect. Would you indulge this OLD pilot by telling me the steps to achieve it? At 86, I find flying very easy, but my G3X touch demands a lot from my brain. I do know how to use FlyGarmin for software and Db updates. Thanks. Ben

Hi Ben,

Knowing how to use FlyGarmin is a good first step.

1. Purchase a standard size SD card of 32 Gb or less, format it for FAT32, and use this card in your PFD every time you fly to record data. I like to use silver permanent markers to write G3X DATA on the SD card to keep it separate from cards used for database update and software update. It is best not to put stickers on your SD card since stickers can cause them to jam in your display or navigator.

2. Startup your PFD in configuration mode (by holding down the MENU button on powerup), select Data Log, and enable SD Card Data Logging on that page.

3. After a flight, insert the G3X SD card containing the flight logs in your computer. You can use a USB to SD card reader if your computer does not have an SD card reader built-in.

4. Log into FlyGarmin then select LOGBOOK in the upper right.

5. Once the logbook is open, click on UPLOAD FLIGHT LOGS in the upper right.

6. Select the Aircraft Identifier and Type, and then click inside the dashed line box. Browse to the data log folder on your SD card, and pick the log file you want to upload to your FlyGarmin logbook. The file name has the date/time of the flight in it.

7. Upload the file and click Done.

You can now see the flight log entry in your logbook. Click on Details to view it including the engine data.

Let us know if you have more questions. You can also call the folks at Garmin to get telephone assistance.

Steve

Luke,

NEVER use that button.

View attachment 8053

Steve

Hi Steve,

Any idea how many flights are stored in the internal memory? Any restrictions on number of flights or time?

I downloaded the file to SD an imported in into excel. Unfortunately only the last 10-12 Flights were within the file.

Regards

Ralf

Glen,

If you have a mobile device running the FlyGarmin app in the cockpit and connected to your connext enabled G3X aircraft, the app will push the data via LTE/and or Wifi to the Garmin "cloud".

else

You have to plug the SD card from the G3X into a computer and drag/drop the .CSV files to the Fly Garmin Logbook website app.

I really want to get this auto-sync to work, but I don't see a FlyGarmin app in the iOS store. Did you mean GarminPilot? Or did you mean that you have to have the flyGarmin web page open in a browser?

Garmin Pilot Data Log Sync

I really want to get this auto-sync to work, but I don't see a FlyGarmin app in the iOS store. Did you mean GarminPilot? Or did you mean that you have to have the flyGarmin web page open in a browser?

Hey Bobby,

Open up Garmin Pilot, and go to the Settings Menu. Select Logbook. If you scroll down, there is a setting called "Stream Flight Data Log in Flight". Do you have this enabled?

Thanks,

Justin

Issue with G3x SD data log upload to FlyGarmin

Just got off the phone with Garmin because I was getting an error on some of my G3X data logs while uploading. Has anyone else had this issue? They said I could try the template from the website to copy the data into, but I pressed that I should not need to do such a thing to upload a Garmin log to a Garmin logbook. Allie agreed and asked me to email her the files, which I did. I hope they can find the issue.

Allie also told me that there is no FlyGarmin app, just Garmin Pilot, which requires a subscription to automatically sync the G3X data logs to the FlyGarmin logbook. That's disappointing.

...Allie also told me that there is no FlyGarmin app, just Garmin Pilot, which requires a subscription to automatically sync the G3X data logs to the FlyGarmin logbook. That's disappointing.

Garmin Pilot is effectively an alternative to Foreflight. If you're a Foreflight user, you can choose to switch to Garmin Pilot.

Back