What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ring terminals

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Has anyone found a reasonable assortment of RED (22-18ga) ring terminals for sale? I would like an assortment of eye hole sizes (from #6 through 1/4") but online I can only find a box of 50 or 100 of a single size OR an assortment that includes a bunch of yellow and blue terminals, of which I have plenty.

I realize that one can purchase these individually from ACS or other suppliers.

Thanks,
Greg

From what I can see, neither of the 2 shown above are Double Crimp terminals. You should definitely be using double crimp terminals.

Instead of a double crimp crimper on nylon terminals, can you use heat shrink single crimp?

I ordered a package of these from Zoro after finding them and also looked up the manufacturers website, I figured they were cheap enough to buy some just to get my hands on them and see if they were any good, I was very happy to see how high quality they were when the test package showed up. I ordered more afterwards and have used them exclusively since. Very good connectors. I wouldn’t use the cheap vinyl automotive type connectors on anything, I throw them away.

Quickcable is the US seller/distributor, they are manufactured by KS Taiwan, the KS/part number/wire size stamped on each connector.

https://www.zoro.com/quickcable-22-...d-pk100-163104-100/i/G1780167/#specifications

Take a look at bestboatwire.com they offer all of the styles of terminals but instead of the regular double crimp strain relief , they offer a version with color coded shrink wrap . One really slick aspect of the shrink wrap is that before it cools you can mold it to a really tight radius coming off the circuit breakers and switches

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 198
Pro’s use double crimp

Instead of a double crimp crimper on nylon terminals, can you use heat shrink single crimp?

I am not an avionics professional but I have watched a lot of the work that my brother, Walt, does. Walt is a pro and he only uses high quality double crimp connectors and high quality crimp tools.

I don’t want to put words in his mouth but I am 99.99% certain that he would not consider a single crimp with heat shrink acceptable for use on aircraft.

I am not an avionics professional but I have watched a lot of the work that my brother, Walt, does. Walt is a pro and he only uses high quality double crimp connectors and high quality crimp tools.

I don’t want to put words in his mouth but I am 99.99% certain that he would not consider a single crimp with heat shrink acceptable for use on aircraft.

Thanks. I'm in the middle of a little avionics rodeo here. I don't have much need for ring terminals, but I do have several splices, so butt connections with 22 and 20 gauge unshielded wire is on my list of things to do. I have both nylon butt connectors for a Wirefy double crimper die as well as a lot of single crimp heat shrink connectors and also solder sleeves and ferrule connectors. I'll get my A&P to inspect before I button back up, but he's out of town right now and I wanted to get a head start. Sounds like double crimped nylon connectors is generally the standard in aviation.

So far as I've moved along on this project I've spent about $20 on connectors etc and about $75 in shipping charges from Stein. I find myself shopping these parts not based on price, but based on shipping. Fortunately, Stein is about 150 miles from here and they will ship flat rate, so not only is shipping cheaper, but much less likely to get lost in the current USPS disaster.

Thanks. I'm in the middle of a little avionics rodeo here. I don't have much need for ring terminals, but I do have several splices, so butt connections with 22 and 20 gauge unshielded wire is on my list of things to do. I have both nylon butt connectors for a Wirefy double crimper die as well as a lot of single crimp heat shrink connectors and also solder sleeves and ferrule connectors. I'll get my A&P to inspect before I button back up, but he's out of town right now and I wanted to get a head start. Sounds like double crimped nylon connectors is generally the standard in aviation.

So far as I've moved along on this project I've spent about $20 on connectors etc and about $75 in shipping charges from Stein. I find myself shopping these parts not based on price, but based on shipping. Fortunately, Stein is about 150 miles from here and they will ship flat rate, so not only is shipping cheaper, but much less likely to get lost in the current USPS disaster.

It will be worth your while to simply get a good collection of terminals/connectors from Stein or other aviation supplier. Almost all Amazon or similar snack-packs of terminals out there are junk. You will not be able to pull wires out of a quality terminal, properly crimped, at least without a lot of force (unless tiny wires...).

It will be worth your while to simply get a good collection of terminals/connectors from Stein or other aviation supplier. Almost all Amazon or similar snack-packs of terminals out there are junk. You will not be able to pull wires out of a quality terminal, properly crimped, at least without a lot of force (unless tiny wires...).

Yeah, the only connectors I'm using for this project have come from Stein. Their videos have been illuminating to an old automotive/marine hobbyist like me.

Yeah, the only connectors I'm using for this project have come from Stein. Their videos have been illuminating to an old automotive/marine hobbyist like me.

Agree, Stein connectors. I got tired of what I found elsewhere.

So far as I've moved along on this project I've spent about $20 on connectors etc and about $75 in shipping charges from Stein. I find myself shopping these parts not based on price, but based on shipping.

I had the same problem here when I needed just a few terminals - so I asked Stein what their connectors were and they very very graciously gave me a cross reference of their connectors with original part numbers. It turns out they use mostly TE AMP connectors which I can get from Digikey out of Asia with much better shipping costs.

Incidentally look up the spec sheets on the insulation diameters of the TE connectors sold by spruce / Stein etc. The standard red terminal crimp is for nylon insulation not tefzel which is thinner and smaller than the lower end of the diameter range foe the insulation crimp.

I wondered why the crimp connectors at work had coloured stripes on them - turns out there is a whole gamut of TE AMP connectors you can buy which suit the insulation diameter of our tefzel wire. The body color (red) is for wire gauge and the stripe color of for insulation diameter.

Just a data point - I decided to go with the standard ones because they are cheaper and most homebuilts have used them when tefzel wire no issues. Plus I am using heat shrink labeling so use a 9mm sleeve and shrink it over the terminal crimp to provide more support to the wire.

If you are interested in the work Stein did for me on part numbers the document is below. I will be ordering from them again in the future but waiting until I need at least an AMU of stuff so the shipping makes sense.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/36kcxlbbie0zj9u/SA-000-1 Terminal kit info for Trent Stewart.pdf?dl=0

What are double-crimp connectors vs. single-crimp style?

George

Longer metal barrel so you can put two crimps on the wire. Do a bit of close looking online at the cheap vs. more expensive ones and you will see that the cheap (single-crimp) ones have less metal. Worth using the double-crimp ones in the high vibration environment.

Back