What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgrading from G3X Non-touch to Touch

macrafic

Well Known Member
I am hoping Steve (G3Xpert) will see this and chime in. Would also invite others who have made this change. And, of course, Stein is always welcome to comment!!!

My questions about upgrading from the G3X Non-touch to Touch have to do with the potential additional wiring and the configuration (3 display system; PFD1, MFD, PFD2).* Can anybody please confirm or comment on each of my questions?

1. For the Touch system to work just as my non-touch system did, it appears there is no additional wiring needed.* Correct?

2. If the configuration module does not have to be changed in the PFD1 connector, I should not have to reconfigure the G3X.* Otherwise, I should capture my current configuration so I can reconfigure after the new config module is installed. Correct?

3. Additional wiring is required only if I desire to upload flight plans from Foreflight to the G3x to my GTN650.* It appears, from page 27-40 of Rev AM of the install manual, that I would require an additional connection between PFD1 and the GTN, per the CONNEXT interface in the diagram. Correct?

4. The only configuration change I would need, if I added the additional wiring as in question 3 above, is to set the PFD1 RS-232 channel to "GTN CONNEXT*2".* Again, from what I seem to be getting from the manual. Correct?

5. If you have gone through this process, were there any surprises you encountered that you want to pass along?

I think I have this but, without step-by-step instructions, and with having to rely on a large and somewhat technical install manual, I would just like to up my confidence level to 100% before I start the process.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi Rich,

Here are some answers to your questions.

1. For the Touch system to work just as my non-touch system did, it appears there is no additional wiring needed.* Correct?
The GDU 37X and GDU 4XX displays use the same 50 pin connectors, so additional wiring is optional. For example, if you have a GNX 375, GTX 45R, GTX 345/345R which provides a built-in ADS-B traffic and weather receiver, you might want to wire those to your displays, but chances are that your older system doesn't have these devices. More on the additional GTN wiring below.

2. If the configuration module does not have to be changed in the PFD1 connector, I should not have to reconfigure the G3X.* Otherwise, I should capture my current configuration so I can reconfigure after the new config module is installed. Correct?
Page 35-1 of the Rev. AM G3X Touch Installation manuals explains the process to upgrade a G3X system to a G3X Touch system with regard to configuration.

As explained there, you will want to make sure and save your fuel sensor calibrations to an SD card so you can import this calibration data into the G3X Touch system.

While you can re-format and re-use the existing configuration module, if you want to use Bluetooth connections to fruity tablets/phones, you will need to install the new G3X Touch configuration module. You may as well do this since it is also plug compatible, and just plugs into the PFD1 backshell like the existing configuration module. It is not possible to use the existing configuration in the old configuration module since it is not compatible with the G3X Touch system. You will have to re-enter the configuration either way, so just bite the bullet, put in the new configuration module, and re-enter the configuration.

You will not have to re-calibrate the existing ADAHRS and magnetometer units as long as they are not being moved.

It is important to take screenshots, pictures, or a video of all of your existing configuration screens so you can restore that configuration in the new G3X Touch system. The G3X Touch system allows you to capture the entire configuration to an SD card, so do that when you are through and happy with how everything is working so you will have it if you ever need to read it back into the system from the storage card.

3. Additional wiring is required only if I desire to upload flight plans from Foreflight to the G3x to my GTN650.* It appears, from page 27-40 of Rev AM of the install manual, that I would require an additional connection between PFD1 and the GTN, per the CONNEXT interface in the diagram. Correct?
You are correct that there is now a new 3 wire Connext interface between the GDU 4XX PFD1 and the GTN 6XX/7XX (that wasn't in the G3X system) to support bi-directional flight plan transfer from the PFD1 to the GTN or from an external tablet/phone running software with this capability.

4. The only configuration change I would need, if I added the additional wiring as in question 3 above, is to set the PFD1 RS-232 channel to "GTN CONNEXT*2".* Again, from what I seem to be getting from the manual. Correct?
Yes, that is correct. As explained on page 27-40, there are new RS-232 configurations for both the G3X Touch and the GTN for the new Connext interface.

5. If you have gone through this process, were there any surprises you encountered that you want to pass along?
Don't forget to install the latest G3X Touch software into the new GDU 4XX displays and let PFD1 update the old LRUs before starting the new configuration. I would make sure the G3X system is up-to-date on the latest G3X software before removing the GDU 37X displays.

While re-wiring is non-existent or minimal, there is a good bit of configuration to re-enter, but it will be worth it!

Steve

It is not possible to use the existing configuration in the old configuration module since it is not compatible with the G3X Touch system. You will have to re-enter the configuration either way, so just bite the bullet, put in the new configuration module, and re-enter the configuration.

I just had a bod config module on my non-touch. I replaced it with the newer, touch config module. All went well and required no re-configuration.

I suggest you attempt to install the new config module on the non-touch system first. If it takes, should be a non-issue going to the touch. If it doesn't work, you can go back to the old config module, I believe. Lot of VooDoo here, as Garmin told me this wouldn't work, yet it did. Not sure anyone but the original SW developer understands the system logic around this component and how it intereacts.

Larry

I just had a bod config module on my non-touch. I replaced it with the newer, touch config module. All went well and required no re-configuration.

I suggest you attempt to install the new config module on the non-touch system first. If it takes, should be a non-issue going to the touch. If it doesn't work, you can go back to the old config module, I believe. Lot of VooDoo here, as Garmin told me this wouldn't work, yet it did. Not sure anyone but the original SW developer understands the system logic around this component and how it intereacts.

Larry
Hello Larry,

Replacing a failed configuration module on either system (G3X or G3X Touch) should never require re-configuration since the displays hold a copy of the configuration, and when they re-initialize the new configuration module, a copy of that display stored configuration is written to the configuration module.

Upgrading a system from G3X to G3X Touch is another matter, regardless of what configuration module you have. The G3X configuration stored in that module on the operating G3X system is not compatible with the G3X Touch system and must be re-configured.

There is no advantage to installing the new configuration module on the G3X system before installing the G3X Touch displays since the G3X configuration would be found incompatible and tossed by the new G3X Touch displays.

Steve

question about mounting GSU 73

Gentlemen, I am upgrading my NON touch G3X to TOUCH G3X. RV-8. I mounted the older GSU 73 on a bracket that is attached to the back of the instrument panel with allowed enough clearance (approx 2inches) to install the G3X screen. Now I need about 3 inches to accommodate the newer TOUCH G3X screens.

As a refresher, I don't recall where I purchased it however someone manufactured a bracket (or should I say shelf) to mount the GSU73 on that was riveted to the backside of the instrument panel. This allowed you to save space and was an easy way to mount the GSU73 on a surface that was level in flight.

Does anybody know of a mount to hold the old bulky GSU73 behind the instrument panel that will fit in an RV8 and accommodate the newer G3X touch? Does anybody have any pictures of their installation where they fabricated a bracket to hold the beast?

Last edited:
Back