What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti chafe felt tape for canopy skirt?

rph142

Well Known Member
The canopy skirt on my tip up 3B is starting to scratch up the paint. Is there a common solution to this problem that I'm not aware of? Could anyone recommend an extra soft and durable tape?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,
I used the soft fuzzy side of velro. Got it at a fabric store and it had adhesive backing. Had to buy both pieces though. Works great but takes up more space than thin anti-chafe or teflon.
Mike

Self-stick Felt

One of the RVs here is trying self-stick felt...purchased at Hobby Lobby for $2 or so. Thinner than the Velcro.

Works so far (approx 25 hrs).

Mike

OK, just bought some UHMW tape from McMaster. The hobby-lobby website almost cost me 200 bucks. CP micro helis have come a long way in the last couple of years!

If anyone buys to much UHMW tape and would like to sell I could use some for my slider.

Ed

Unless the interior of your skirt is really smooth and uniform, the UHMW tape is going to fit kind of funky. We just use regular felt from the fabric store and spray adhesive - conforms beautifully to curves (it is stretchy) and is very kind to paint.

Paul

Guys, guys, guys,.... seriously, UHMW tape is going to turn to garbage PDQ. It yellows, won't come off in a nice piece after it ages, and generally looks like **** from day 1.

You need paint protection film like they use on the front of BMW's, Mercedes, etc. You can order an expensive 120' roll of your own, or simply buy it by the foot from us. You won't be sorry. It isn't expensive and it looks great, lasts forever, and can be removed up to 10 years later without leaving a gooey mess.... I know I've had it on my plane for that long!

It's stretchy enough to go around curves, easy to cut, easy to apply, and won't yellow... I said it WON'T YELLOW... ever.

I have it under my gear leg fairings, around the cowl, on top of my flaps, behind my keychain on the panel, and, yes, under my canopy ducktail. There are literally a 100 uses on any RV.

We carry it in 2", 4", and 6" widths.
Get it here:
http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Scroll down to the PPF products.

Back