What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cool RV Flying Filmed From "UAV"

JDRhodes

Well Known Member
Some friends of mine came to our annual fly-in BBQ last weekend to test their new remotely piloted camera platform. Much of the video in this clip was shot at our fly-in. Very neat. Watch for the blue and gray RV-9...:D

http://yonderbluefilms.com

very kool; now for reality check!

Do you think the platform is affected by wingtip vortices etc.? seems the operators are skilled enough to keep it out of harms way.....so far! :)

& I was impressed by how close they could fly to those power lines.
(hmmmm; I can see some liability insurance coming! )

Wow, I'd hate to be a camera-crane operator these days. Seems like news helicopter pilots, especially in smaller markets, might be an endangered species too. The times they are a changin'...

-jon

Do you think the platform is affected by wingtip vortices etc.? seems the operators are skilled enough to keep it out of harms way.....so far! :)

& I was impressed by how close they could fly to those power lines.
(hmmmm; I can see some liability insurance coming! )

The flybys were briefed ahead of time with clear understanding about where the camera would be positioned, what everyone was doing and what the shot needed to look like. It was actually well off the runway. The telephoto lens puts you A LOT closer to the action than reality.

Ditto with the powerlines.

It's actually pretty easy to get up close to objects on the ground without a lot of risk - the aircraft is gyrostabilized and moves very slowly and controlably. It's nothing like a toy RC aircraft.

Last edited:
Amazing platform!

Glad to see Hyler made it, but we were socked it at Dahlonega. :(

Wow, that is really cool. Seems they have a sense of humor as well. Note last item on the FAQ page :)

awesome video.
great soundtrack choice as well! 30s to mars :)

how about doing a such a feature video at osh? that'd be cool!

bernie

Cool little flying machine

From the Yonder Blue FAQ webpage discussing the RC helo:

Q: Can the Cinestar 8 bring me a beer?
A: Yes. Use our contact page to discuss beer delivery rates.

Next time won't be so late...

Enjoyed meeting y'all, enjoyed the BBQ. Next time will come on time :)

A cheaper option, Parrot AR Drone 2.0

I just purchased my next toy, AR 2 quadricopter that is control by your iPad or iPhone. Amazing technology for $300! Within wifi range it will stream HD video back to your iPad. It has indoor and outdoor modes. On board processor, 3 axis accelerometer +/- 50 mg precision, 3 axis gyroscope 2000 degrees/second precision, pressure sensor +/- 10 Pa precision (2.6 feet), 60 fps vertical camera for ground speed measurement, 3 axis magnetometer 6 degrees of precision, 2 ultrasound sensors for ground altitude measurement and an open Linux system. Check it out on YouTube...

Back