What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weather Coverage

tacaruth

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a VFR flight to Alaska via the Alcan Highway this summer. After reading that this can and will be a weather dependent trip, I am looking into getting a Garmin GPS with XM weather. Does XM weather cover the Canadian portion of the trip and the portion in Alaska? Also, will an APRS system work for the trip?

Thanks,
Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Hi All,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a VFR flight to Alaska via the Alcan Highway this summer. After reading that this can and will be a weather dependent trip, I am looking into getting a Garmin GPS with XM weather. Does XM weather cover the Canadian portion of the trip and the portion in Alaska? Also, will an APRS system work for the trip?

Thanks,
Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

XM WX will cover the trip thru Canada if you purchase the premium service. If you are using the GRT system it will not work for Canadian wx.

weather

Canadian weather is now included on the Aviator service, but the unit you are displaying the wx must have the software upgraded to display the info. BUT the XM signal disappears as you fly north. It has been 3 years since I flew that route, but I believe we lost the xm signal between Watson Lake and Whitehorse.

Have a great trip!! It is a great flight that everyone should do at least once. We made the trip in 1996 in a C172 and in 2007 in a RV7a.

Back