What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 with AF5000 series

cojaken

I just installed a Garmin G5 and wired it to function as the back up ADAHRS for my AF5400T in accordance with Advanced Flight Systems installation instructions.

Works great! Kudos to Advanced Flight Systems and Garmin!

I just installed a Garmin G5 and wired it to function as the back up ADAHRS for my AF5400T in accordance with Advanced Flight Systems installation instructions.

The AFS is connected to the Garmin CAN bus?

I am in the final stages of a 4500 -> 5400T swap (bit of a rodeo). I use a G5 as a standalone dissimilar backup as well. On my installation, the G5 gets its GPS from the 430W, doesn't really talk to the EFIS at all. The autopilot is switchable between 5400 and 430W (at least it was connected to the EFIS...remains to be seen if it still is....)

Attachments

• panel3.jpg
    panel3.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 193
My G5 is installed as a back up attitude indicator. An RS232 connection to one of the AF5400 serial ports allows the G5’s ADAHRS to be used as a back up by the EFIS.

I do have an external GPS antenna on it to ensure it has a good GPS signal to correct the attitude computation.

I do not have the G5 connected to my autopilot or GNS430W.

My G5 is installed as a back up attitude indicator. An RS232 connection to one of the AF5400 serial ports allows the G5’s ADAHRS to be used as a back up by the EFIS.

I do have an external GPS antenna on it to ensure it has a good GPS signal to correct the attitude computation.

I do not have the G5 connected to my autopilot or GNS430W.

Great idea! I set my G5 up to be a backup as a standalone backup navigation instrument in the event of an entire EFIS failure, even putting it on a different power bus switched from the right master. I reasoned that if I wanted a backup ADAHRS for the 5400, I can stack a second SV ADAHRS unit back there. Ironically, the main reason I replaced the 4500 with the 5400 was a failure of the original XBOW ADAHRS that was built in to the 4500. By using the 430W as its GPS source, I can get the G5, HSI or DG, to display track instead of just course. The G5 is a great instrument, and its price for the Experimental segment is outstanding, especially since that version can be switched between HSI and DG, whereas the certified version can only do one of the other (you would need two G5s for your certified version to do the same job as one Experimental version.

I do note that they make a recessed frame that allows the G5 to be mounted flush with the panel. That would be nice, although cutting the panel for it demonstrates a real commitment.

IMG_9231_2-600x600.jpg

Last edited:
Back