What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you are flying to AirVenture 2012 on mogas

N1593Y

The Aviation Fuel Club is organizing a special event called ?Unleaded to Oshkosh? ? U2OSH ? at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2012. The purpose of the event is to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the FAA?s approval of the first autogas STC, an effort led in part by EAA founder Paul Poberezny. All pilots flying aircraft to Oshkosh that are capable of operating on mogas will be given special recognition. Awards will be given for the longest distance traveled, oldest/newest aircraft and smallest/largest aircraft flown using lead-free auto gas.

Headquarters for the event will be the exhibit of U-Fuel (#339, just SW of Phillips66 Plaza) the sponsor for U2OSH. Co-sponsors are Petersen Aviation, FlyUnleaded, American Legend Aircraft ,and Air Plains.

The high point of U2OSH will be a forum at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, July 26, during AirVenture. Speakers who have already confirmed their participation include EAA founder Paul Poberezny, LSA expert and Light Aircraft Manufacturers Association President Dan Johnson (who also writes the Sport Pilot Blog [Splog] for General Aviation News), autogas STC expert Todd Petersen, ADI producer Mike Kelley of Air Plains, aviation fuel expert and General Aviation News columnist Ben Visser, and USUA leader and PSF publisher Roy Beisswenger.

Further information on U2OSH may be found at flyunleaded.com and click on Information Flyer link. The organizers request interested parties to post the flyer at their favorite airports, flying clubs, EAA chapters, etc. Please use the email link on the web site if you want to get a free U2OSH static cling decal to display on your airplane as you fly into AirVenture and use the links on the web site to find airports with mogas along your route. There is also an email link to send me information about the mogas service on airports that you land at which will keep the web site up to date for other pilots.

Where's the Unleaded Gas?

I like the attention given to the unleaded fuel user but flying to Oshkosh
on unleaded gas is a bit of a stretch.
Where do you propose pilots fill up on unleaded gas, not to mention unleaded
ethanol free gas if it matters.
I fly on ethanol mogas 91 octane but only if I can fill up at home.
Lead free gas is simply not available at airports except for a hand full here and there. I hope it will be available at airports some day soon.

Well, the airnav fuel planner is pretty spiffy for that. Just doing a hypothetical scenario it found quite a few routes with mogas stops from here (Georgia) up to OSH.

From the West Coast it would probably be a bit more difficult, however as I planned a hypothetical trip from SoCal to OSH and it couldn't find a route.

But you know...I figure if someone wants to do it bad enough they can. I know a guy that flew a Cub on straight floats from Florida to OSH. Now that's a feat.

MOGAS

A quick check showed unleaded in NM, UT, KS, NE, etc. so a route to Osh from CA is certainly possible.

We have MOGAS here at KLXT (Lee's Summit, MO-east side of Kansas City) -no ethanol-and from here it's an easy leg to Osh. Self-serve is currently $4.12/gal.

Good luck,
Mike

RV12s love 91 Octane

We are coming out of the DFW area on Sunday July 22 to OSH. We are a flight of 4 RV12s with the Rotax engine. We will be stopping at Drake feild AK, Lee's Summit MO, and Portage WI. Using Mogas all the way. We are using the FLYUNLEADED US MOGAS AIRPORT MAP as our flight planner. Thanks for the info.:D

Great!
Added that link to my flight planning file.
We fly with an iPad and an Acer notebook.
Great in the cockpit and the hotel room!

We have self-serve Mogas (and 100LL - $5.12) at KSGS, South St. Paul, MN. Great "last stop" before KOSH...

We are coming out of the DFW area on Sunday July 22 to OSH. We are a flight of 4 RV12s with the Rotax engine. We will be stopping at Drake feild AK, Lee's Summit MO, and Portage WI. Using Mogas all the way. We are using the FLYUNLEADED US MOGAS AIRPORT MAP as our flight planner. Thanks for the info.:D

If your Rotax engines are the 100HP 912 varieties be advised that Portage, WI only has 87 AKI mogas, at least as of the last update I received from them. Might be better to plan on KHXF which has 91 AKI or some other airport in WI.

Since you folks are flying to OSH on mogas, please use my email link at flyunleaded to request the free U2OSH static cling decal. It is 4" x 3" and will peal right off after Oshkosh. Hope to meet you at the U2OSH booth or the forum on Thursday.

Please stop by the U2OSH booth and register for some prizes for aircraft that flew to OSH on mogas. See our flyer about the events at http://flyunleaded.com/u2oshflyer.pdf

Last edited:
We have self-serve Mogas (and 100LL - $5.12) at KSGS, South St. Paul, MN. Great "last stop" before KOSH...

What is the "octane" (AKI) of the mogas at KSGS? I hope that all pilots flying to Oshkosh will use the email link at http://flyunleaded.com/airports.php to update the information for any airport that you fly into that has mogas. Doesn't make any difference if the listing has information already. I update the verification date each time someone sends in info. That way pilots know how current the listings are, and please verify the AKI of the mogas as this is very important for flight planning and is something AirNav doesn't do, and in fact refuses to do, which is why I created the flyunleaded airport list and map.

Mix it up Baby!

Dean, when we run into 87 mogas we mix 50/50 100LL & 87. Works great with no problems. :rolleyes:

Back