What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF "Make a Wish" Donations

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
For those of you who haven't read the original post about Alex Cuellar and his fight with brain cancer, here's the links to my previous posts:
First Post: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=85196
Update Post: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=86537

A big thank you to all of the people who have gotten involved and helped out with this charity mission. UPDATE: The fundraising is complete and the Paypal link has been closed. Thanks to everyone for their support.Mission Goals (Update):

1) Show Alex my plane project and give him a HB workshop experience - COMPLETE :D(Me, my wife, Michelle-Alex's mom)
2) Get Alex some stick time in a local RV - COMPLETE :D(EAA Chapter 301, Young Eagles & Gary Zilik RV-6)
3) Get Alex's mom a ride in an RV so she feels secure with him flying to OSH in one. - COMPLETE :D(Jim Berry RV-10)
4) Arrange for RT transportation to and from OSH - COMPLETE :D(Dwight Drefs RV-10) Arrive: Sunday, July 22nd - Depart: Sunday, July 29th
5) Arrange for lodging for Alex and his Dad. - COMPLETE :D(Paul Merems & Paypal Contributors)
6) Arrange for daily/weekly tickets to AV for Alex and Dad. - COMPLETE :D(Ray Allen Company)
7) Acquire ground transportation for Alex and Dad while at OSH (golf cart) - COMPLETE :D(Chad Jensen & Homebuilt Headquarters)
8) Acquire tickets to Van's Banquet for Alex and Dad - COMPLETE :D(Van's Aircraft)
9) Post after OSH writeup with pictures - STILL NEED (Me)
EXTRA #1) Provide some spending cash for souvenirs and plane rides - COMPLETE :D(Paul Merems & Paypal Contributors)
EXTRA #2) Interview on EAA Radio - SET UP :D(Bob Collins)
EXTRA #3) Anything else that could be a neat experience, like tours through warbirds, meet and greets with pilots/celebrities, etc. - OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

If you have any questions and want to email me rather than PMs, send emails to ppilotmike AT gmail.com

Last edited:
golf cart for Alex!

I am happy to report that Chad came through for Alex and has a golf cart reserved for Alex and his father. And even better, Chad was able to get this done as a "donation" from the Homebuilt Community.

I am getting pretty excited about the whole event now - I might even have to make the trip!!

Keep up the good work Mike putting this all together and again, thanks to Chad, Alex and his father will be able to get to the exhibits and events he wants to. This is great news.

AWESOME!

I am happy to report that Chad came through for Alex and has a golf cart reserved for Alex and his father. And even better, Chad was able to get this done as a "donation" from the Homebuilt Community.

I am getting pretty excited about the whole event now - I might even have to make the trip!!

Keep up the good work Mike putting this all together and again, thanks to Chad, Alex and his father will be able to get to the exhibits and events he wants to. This is great news.

Thanks Chad and Rock for knocking this one out!

lodging

Paul is working on the housing and with that in progress, we are in pretty good shape! It is time to step up to the plate, contribute and help make this happen. Thanks to all of you who have been involved and helping make a great trip for Alex and his father.

Last edited:
Update

I have updated the original post at the top of this page, to show that lodging has now been completely secured. Alex and his dad will be staying in comfort at the Christian School located near Airventure. From what I hear, this place has many "regulars" who stay there every year, and feels more like a "camp" environment. I think they will really enjoy it. Thanks to Paul Merems and the many people who donated to make that happen.

Contributors: We are still trying to put together some "extra" things to help make Alex's trip to Osh truly memorable. Donations through the Paypal link http://www.experimentalaero.com/ are much appreciated, and would be used to help them afford plane rides, food and souvenirs at the show. Any other "outside the box" things you can think of would also be appreciated. These would include meet-and-greets with pilots/celebrities (maybe even you!), special tours of cool airplanes on the ground, trips around the patch in your airplane, seaplane, or whatever. All ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks again to the VAF community. It looks like this mission is headed for success.

Mike

Breezy Ride, Aircraff Tours, etc.

Mike,

Is someone from VAF going along/will we have a way to coordinate optional activities during their stay?

I can arrange some option plays:

1. Ride in a Breezy at no cost...but with a Breezy it's best to pick a nice weather day and go early morning!

2. Private ground tours of the EAA Tri-motor and the B17 "Aluminum Overcast" (realize Alex and his dad are probably going for rides, but the ride schedule is pretty hectic...thinking of an early morning/late afternoon personal tour of the aircraft so Alex can sit in the pilot's seat, nose positions, etc. with no rush). We can fit these in around other events-just need to know what will work best with their schedule.

Thanks,
Mike

OSH Coordination for Alex and Dad

Mike,

I'm really trying to get everything mostly organized before they go. I will be there, but won't necessarily be with them whole time. I had planned to get together a tentative schedule together for them, so they could make each "appointment" but still have a somewhat open schedule to enjoy the show. They definitely won't have a "handler" like some of the celebs get to make sure they get around. I am trying to provide that "upfront" if possible to make it easier for them.

Mike

Osh Schedule for Alex and Dad

Mike,
If you know when Alex and his dad might be available (assuming they are interested!) I can firm up the B17 next week with the chief pilot when he's here at Lee's Summit. Or you may be able to line up a B17 ground tour when it's in Denver (7-10 June).

I know the Tri-motor team well and can coordinate with them by phone/email.

The Breezy will take a bit longer...but I can have a ride firmed up in a couple of weeks or so. Worst case we cancel if the weather is bad.

Anyway, shoot me a PM or email and let me know if you want me to line these up/when the best dates/times would be.

If you think a tour guide would be useful I can make that happen too.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Pretty Open Schedule right now..

Mike (Transporter),

Alex and his dad have a pretty open schedule right now, with only 2 events really planned for them (Vans Banquet and EAA Radio Interview-Homebuilders Hour with Bob Collins). I sent you a PM. A ground tour of Aluminum Overcast would be cool. Unfortunately, this weekend in Denver won't work. Perhaps it can happen at OSH.

Alex and Dad

FYI. If I didn't mention it before, Alex and his Dad will be at OSH Sunday to Sunday (morning), I believe. Of course they are flying GA in an RV-10 so weather could be a factor on both the arrival and departure.

Contributors: We are still trying to put together some "extra" things to help make Alex's trip to Osh truly memorable. Donations through the Paypal link http://www.experimentalaero.com/ are much appreciated, and would be used to help them afford plane rides, food and souvenirs at the show. Any other "outside the box" things you can think of would also be appreciated. These would include meet-and-greets with pilots/celebrities (maybe even you!), special tours of cool airplanes on the ground, trips around the patch in your airplane, seaplane, or whatever. All ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks again to the VAF community. It looks like this mission is headed for success.

Mike

Contribution made! Approximately equal to 28.9017 gallon of 100LL

Last edited:
That's the spirit!

Thanks Gary! As I recall, you've already spent some avgas, taking Alex for an extra long Young Eagle's flight. Thanks for your generosity.

Donation made as well. :) I hope all works out for Alex and he has a great time. Mike you've done a great job getting this put together and keeping it in the forefront. That kind of planning will come in handy when you finish your plane and start flying to the Caribbean. :cool:

Regards and Thanks,

Thanks Gary! As I recall, you've already spent some avgas, taking Alex for an extra long Young Eagle's flight. Thanks for your generosity.

Alex touched my heart and I think about him often. I'm hoping to get together with him during Oshkosh. We'll be there all week.

Donation made as well. :) I hope all works out for Alex and he has a great time. Mike you've done a great job getting this put together and keeping it in the forefront. That kind of planning will come in handy when you finish your plane and start flying to the Caribbean. :cool:

Regards and Thanks,

Every bit helps. Thanks Scott.

Airventure donation drive is complete

I have great news to report. Alex and his Father?s trip to Airventure 2012 donation drive has been a great success.

Thanks to generosity of many fellow RV?s builders/fliers through the RV community in addition to many local Tucson GA and current/former military pilots we have reached our goal.

Now all Alex and his father have to worry about is having the greatest time of their lives.

Thanks for all the support. It has been my honor to help with this noble effort and I am humbled by the generosity of so many.

Great News!

..and good work, Paul. Your assistance with this mission is much appreciated, as is all the generous donations that will help Alex and his Dad have this great experience together. I look forward to meeting you in person at OSH. It's going to be a great year!

Back