What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Metal canopy fairings

Wardo

I?m considering using metal fairings for the forward section of the canopy. Knowing how often I change them in my shop, I?m having a hard time talking myself into permanently installing the windscreen. The metal fairings are not as sexy but if done right can look quite nice.

Does anybody offer these fairings?

Pictures and suggestions welcome.

What???

I’m considering using metal fairings for the forward section of the canopy. Knowing how often I change them in my shop, I’m having a hard time talking myself into permanently installing the windscreen. The metal fairings are not as sexy but if done right can look quite nice.

Does anybody offer these fairings?

Pictures and suggestions welcome.

You often change your windscreen? Why would you ever want to do that?

Just curious....

Last edited:
He's talking about spam can glass. Lots of mechanics have done dozens because the planes are all "antiques" now.

The thought of changing the windscreen on an 8- after it is all done gives me the chills! It would be a lot of work to make a new screen fit right.

Get Real

Hello.

I deleted your recent VAF post for the following reason(s):

_x_ Civility /

Tone
__ Not RV-related
__ Commercial promotion by non-advertiser
__

Mod/Policy bashing
__ Politics / Government
__ Illegal video clip
__

eBay / Barnstormers / etc. (classified-specific rules at:

www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8208)

The posting

rules are explained in greater detail at:

www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm

If you feel the need, please direct

comments regarding this to the owner of the site (Doug Reeves).

His contact info can be found at: www.DeltaRomeo.com

Thank you.
Doug

Reeves (site owner)

Last edited by a moderator:
wrong post deleted

Hello.

I deleted your recent VAF post for the following reason(s):

_x_ Civility /

Tone
__ Not RV-related
__ Commercial promotion by non-advertiser
__

Mod/Policy bashing
__ Politics / Government
__ Illegal video clip
__

eBay / Barnstormers / etc. (classified-specific rules at:

www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8208)

The posting

rules are explained in greater detail at:

www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm

If you feel the need, please direct

comments regarding this to the owner of the site (Doug Reeves).

His contact info can be found at: www.DeltaRomeo.com

Thank you.
Doug

Reeves (site owner)

It looks to me the wrong post was deleted. Just because a forum member may fly formation well, doesn't make it ok to be disrespectful to someone asking a question. That type of humor is not what this forum needs.

I did my own made from .040 T3, because that is what I had.
I used my English Wheel to shape them and to roll the flange. Three times was the charm as my metal forming skills needed some developing. So be prepared to scrap parts and start over.
I have seen others that where done with a shrinker/stretcher but they did not turn out as well, not that it can't be done that way.

I coated the back side of the fairing with Sika before riveting to form a seal and wipe the excess off to form a filet. Worked well and looks professional, or at least as professional as an amature like me can make it look.

I made the choice to go metal because I did not want to bond plastic to metal, not for service reasons. All of the plastic parts on my airplane are either screwed or riveted on. I have seen some bond thier windscreen fairings as a separate part and they look good too.

I like to see rivet lines, and separate parts are just that, separated. That is a personal choice, but not a popular one. People go to great lengths to hide rivet lines, fair in and fill tips, etc.... to get that smooth sleek look. That is just not me.

A side benefit in a metal windscreen fairing on a slider is that you never worry about a passenger using the roll bar to exit or enter the airplane, even when I ask them not too. They are very rigid.

JonJay;
Not to highjack this thread, but!!
Where did you get a G.46?
Please add a link to you signature which can take us to you page on it's restoration, history etc. :)

Last edited:
Back