What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bending with a Digital Protractor

DCat22

Well Known Member
So, I had a Digital Protractor. I figured I might as well use it...actually came in real handy when recently bending parts like HS-714 in the tail.

I just left a slight lip on my front bending block in the vice so I could put the bottom blade on level with the part in the vice. Then lined up the sight of the bent piece and read off the angle looking at it from the side. You could rig it differently than in my picture and get it more exact, but I don't think this is needed -- just sighting it was within 0.2 degrees of the measurement out of the vice, and a little tweaking got it perfect.

I wouldn't go out and buy one to do this, by any means... But it worked great too, and both HS-710 and HS-714 match perfectly together. I have this cheap one for $22, and verified it as matching my nice Incra protractor exactly.

Anyway, hadn't seen it mentioned... (Although it probably has been. :p)

prot.jpg
prot2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know that .2 degrees error might screw it up!:)

:p

....that is the most annoying thing about digital tools. It's so hard to be off "just a tiny bit" even when it doesn't matter. Same can go for flying a VFR EFIS IMO...

Back