What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 first flight- best Christmas ever!

Wayne Gillispie

Well Known Member
Went to bed 9:30 pm last night. Slept good til 2:00 am then off and on til we got up at 5:30 am. I kept waking up wondering if I had forgotten anything or what my plan was for an emergency. Would it really fly?
Boy does it fly! 155 kts at 2550 rpm, wot, 5000' without pants/fairings. I have only been that fast in a 172 during emerg descent. Need to adj gov high spd stop before next flight. CHT's on this cool day= 338-388F.
Thanks to my wonderful wife of 22 years and two children, a 10 yr old's dream has come true. I want to thank all of the great people I have met here on VAF. A special thanks to Ted Chang (-9A) for that first RV flight, tons of build help, motivational trip reports and photography today. Jim Combs(-10) for sevaral t-n-g's and many good phone conversations starting all the way back in 2006. David Maib(-10) for excellent transition training in FL. Also Van's Acft, Stein Air, Stark Avionics, GRT, Lycoming and Hartzell. Thanks to Geoff Combs(-10) for flying chase and photography today. Now to buy some more fuel and plan that SW trip for next summer, Alaska the following year. Keep pounding those rivets...it is so worth it.

BIG TIME CONGRATS

Great Job Wayne. I know your excitement. First flight for me was Oct 30.

Have fun in Phase 1. Be safe.

Here are the photos

Gillispie family with their new member:
IMG_0474.JPG

Christmas RV10
IMG_0479.JPG

Santa and his helper
IMG_0484.JPG

First flight

Taxi out
IMG_0486.JPG

Wayne in lead, Geoff Combs (RV10) flies chase with aerial photographer Abby, Airport manager Paul in the airport truck, Darlene (Mrs. G.) and Nathan (Santa helper) followed in their car
IMG_0498.JPG

Ready to depart runway 18
IMG_0501.JPG

In the air
IMG_0504.JPG

Wow
IMG_0506.JPG

Go
IMG_0508.JPG

Going
IMG_0511.JPG

Gone
IMG_0513.JPG

Wow, that's awesome Wayne. I am jealous and happy at the same time. My pulse got going thinking about doing the same soon.

One more up in the air!

Congratulations Wayne and family. Great job. I enjoyed the day
playing chase plane. Here is the famous RV Grin
NOW BURN THAT FUEL
0_0_d19b6c824171aa429a749e6b7990680a_1

0_0_393056cfa6c20a7ad654c68a07c0a58a_1

0_0_013be692f7f267be6262d10abe2c0817_1

0_0_115c4c3aea10f825dfed01849bc2797e_1

Awesome congratulations! I wish I could bottle up that feeling on those first few days! Great photos! I just finished phase one myself. I am looking forward to some casual flying without all the touch and goes, exhausting stalls, lead bags, and practice emergency landings! :D

Good for you! Now you can spend the pre-Xmas days avoiding the crowds by flying high over them and really enjoying the season. Happy holidays.

Fantastic Wayne! I have been wondering all day if you actually got to fly today. Great photo's (especially of you and the family!) I look forward to seeing your airplane one of these days.
On with Phase 1!!

Beautiful!

Awesome pictures of the best Christmas present a family could ask for! Wreath and all!

I never tire of reading/seeing first flights of any airplane but especially RV's.

Best,

Amen

Awesome pictures of the best Christmas present a family could ask for! Wreath and all!

I never tire of reading/seeing first flights of any airplane but especially RV's.

AMEN!
Fly safely now

Way to Go

Wayne,
I have been watching for your first flight post since I met you at Valkaria a couple of weeks ago. Congratulations to you and your family.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 Rebuilding

Thank you guys for all of the support and kind words. I have met a few of you and hope to meet more in the future. We have alot in common and always look forward to fun flying and conversations. As a low time pilot I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experiences. We will try to stop and meet as many of you as possible as we travel this great country. Sorry...No aux tanks so probably won't be going to Australia.

Back up at pmh this morning with less tension. Presently Temp 5C, Alt 30.44 and a beautiful day for flying.

Great News!

Glad you got it in the air Wayne!! I sure enjoyed meeting you this fall at Portsmouth and i continue to enjoy Ted Changs pictures and videos. It just doesnt get any better than that!!

Great Job!

Looks like a blast! Especially with the timing of the Christmas Season and all. Good job getting yet another RV-10 flying. Hopefully, I'll be experiencing the same thing in a few years. Back to the shop I go!:)

Back