What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show me your outboard camera installation.

AX-O

Well Known Member
I keep seen this awesome videos and pictures of RVs flying using a camera mounted on the airframe (outside the cockpit). I am thinking about buying one of those GoPro cameras soon. Show me your installation set up. I am mostly interested on mounting the camera on the wing however, other locations may work. Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.

Axe,

I'd look at the Contour 1080HD.

It has a wide variety of mounting options.

The newest one has 3D GPS embedded tracking.

And the newest feature...you can use your bluetooth enabled smart phone as a viewfinder. AWESOME.

Lots of options...checkit

http://contour.com/camera

Slick

Axel:

I should be out at your airport soon for a DAR inspection. You can look at and actual touch my several different ContourHD mounts. Presently there is one mount on the windshield frame, a headset mount, a hat mount, an under wing mount using the right side tie down point, and a left wing tip top mount. I have a tail mount in the works but it will not be done this weekend if Paul has me come out.

BTW. I had the wingtip mount installed with camera on the aircraft for your Birthday.

DSCN0956.JPG

DSCN0954.JPG

Yes I run a filter on the camera to protect the lens.

Last edited:
Axel - timely post. I'm modifying my VS fairing to accept a Drift HD170 camera. I'll post pictures when I'm complete but the basic idea was this:

fabricated a carbon/epoxy receptacle by wrapping the camera (covered in electrical tape and waxed).

Placed the receptacle inside the VS fairing and cut an opening in the fairing

Use the camera's built in mounting screw hole to hold it firmly in the fairing.

Refinish the VS fairing and install on the plane.

The Drift HD170 has a remote control which allows the operator to turn on/off the record functions.

A few of us were guinea pig subjects for Dave "Pablo" Hirschman while he evaluated three different cameras http://www.aopa.org/aopalive/?watch=9nOTBiMjqqs7r0l7I4s6xlXWsxmF7nc4&WT.mc_id=110311epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan for AOPA. I have the GoPro and like that it comes with a variety of mounts including a suction cup mount that will not come off when attached to the inside of the canopy. For the outside, I use the provided mounts and drill a hole in them then use the existing screws on the wing (fuel tank screw, wing tip screw), or any other screws on the plane for locations. The nice thing about putting it out on the wing is you can face it in any direction...forward, to the fuselage, backwards, etc.

As far as picking a favorite, I am biased because I spent money on the GoPro and would refuse to ever admit I made a mistake....but I am extremely happy with it and have no complaints.

There are some pictures of the mounts on this thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=62190&highlight=gopro

I have the GoPro and like that it comes with a variety of mounts including a suction cup mount that will not come off when attached to the inside of the canopy.

That suction cup mount is incredible - I tested it out on my kitchen countertop and am pretty sure that (if I were strong enough) I could pick up the entire slab of granite before the suction cup gave up its grip. A guy at my airport used the suction cup directly on the vertical stabilizer of his light sport and flew all the way to the Bahamas without it coming off! I wouldn't try that in the RV (or a light sport for that matter) but I bet it would hold just fine.

Contour Mount.

Gary, are you finding that the Coutour is stable with your mounts? I was looking at the same arrangement for mine.

Tail Cam

I put one on top of VS and one on the belly below VS:

IMG_2504%20%28Large%29.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

Dale
RV6a 1450 hrs, 180 videos
Youtube channel same name: RV6AirplanePilot

Last edited:
Tail cam

Great mount you have there. Will the remote activate it from the cockpit while mounted? I have just started using mine, Velcroed on the glare shield, it's quick and easy till make a mount. The picture is excellent, whIle I was holding short the other day, turned the nose into the traffic and recorded a Herc on final, as he passed I turned my nose and captured the landing as well. I love how the lens rotates to accommodate any mounting position.

Next step is to form a clear plastic cover to protect the camera lens and allow me to fly without the camera installed. I'll need to create a female mold of the forward portion of the camera and either use vacuum or create the male mating piece to form the cover.

Yes - I tested the remote from the cockpit with canopy closed. It actually works to a range of about 30 ft consistently.

I like the Drift, the only downside I see is that you have no confirmation that the camera is on or off. I'm still partial to the VIO POV line for that reason... I think being sure that the camera is filming (or not) is worth the effort it will take to route a wired camera into the tail.

Intercom Recorder

Hi All,

I am looking at installing one of the Drift HD170's on a wing mount and using the remote control to turn it on/off. I would also like to add an intercom/radio recorder so that I can have some audio to go with the camera video. Is there a voice recorder that I could plug into the passenger headset jack?

Thanks,
Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Completed my Drift HD170 Tail Cam mount. The remote works perfectly from the cockpit with canopy closed. I'll post videos soon...

14tt4dk.jpg

rw467a.jpg

Dang that looks nice. Thank you for posting pics. Just wondering, did you figure out the angle you would need on the camera to get the correct view based on cruise flight attitude?

Thx! The cameras FOV is large enough I didn't worry about it and simply positioned it parallel to the top edge of the VS.

just uploaded a youtube video demonstrating the Drift HD from the tail cam position as well as a Contour HD capturing the cockpit view (facing aft).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZDuA05ux3E

Nice

Ken,
Great video!

Not to highjack this thread, but I dig the helmet set up. Would you mind telling me about it? You can PM me so we don't creep the thread.
Regards,
Brent

Hi Ken,
It is a very good install. I just loved it. If you have any building pictures of the tail cam mount please provide a link. I am very new to composites and love to learn from you :)

wrapped camera in electrical tape, waxed, and wrapped in carbon and epoxy to form a tube
2co68lk.jpg

14bt6s9.jpg

cut a slot in the VS fairing to fit the tube
riydk3.jpg

used modeling clay and two layers of 2oz glass and epoxy to transition smoothly into the VS fairing
2s7t1rt.jpg

lots of sanding, filling and priming:
rw4cwp.jpg

Plenty more minor details such as placing some reinforcing layers internal to the structure. Fabricating and spring action plunger which holds the camera in place via the cameras built in screw mount (1/4"-24 thread) and adding the blind nuts to match the VS as well as sealing the rear of the fairing as I did in the original. Took me 3 days start to finish.
I still would like to fab a clear plastic cover to protect the lens and allow me to fly without the camera installed - I wouldn't want to fly with a big open hole like as I'm not so sure it would get torn off in the 200mph winds :)

Hope this helps.

Camera installation!!!!

I have four different sports action cameras (GoPro, Drift HD-170, Contour and Origon Scientific ATC-9000) and have written reviews on all of them. The best and most for your money without a doubt for shooting from an aircraft platform is the Drift HD-0170! It has a preview screen, Rf remote control with more than enough range to cover the entire aircraft, great photo and video quality, the best mounting system, a movable lens and all the features of the other cameras as well. All that is required to mount this unit is to drill a couple of holes or slots preferably, in one of the supplied mounts. I drilled three holes on two center distances and this allows me to mount the camera in a multitude of different locations simply by removing and replacing two existing screws,(Front top of wing looking foreword, front bottom looking foreword, rear top of wing, rear bottom looking back, wing tip looking at cockpit, Top or bottom of V/S looking foreword or back plus many other locations that virtually cover the entire aircraft). The location can be changed in about one minute or so. When you are shooting and want the ground to be the point of interest for your video, you should angle your camera 13 degrees downward for best results. This holds true with just about any lens from 16mm wide to 600mm telephoto. With the typical wide lenses on these small sports cameras, we use this 13 degree setting even when shooting plane to plane as the video looses interest if you cant see the ground or horizon. The tiny R/F remote is also a must, as the I/R remote models require pointing directly at the cameras lens. If you would like to narrate your video from the cockpit the camera has a standard audio jack that interfaces with your headset or intercom. I will post a short video link here for review that clearly shows the video quality, stability, Etc. This was shot at 200 MPH. If anyone is interested or desires more information just let me know. Regards, Allan

(VIDEO)
http://vimeo.com/22471547

CameramountRV006.jpg

CameramountRV001.jpg

CameramountRV003.jpg

CameramountRV004.jpg

CameramountRV005.jpg

Last edited:
HD vs SD?

Allan,
have you used anything that was NOT HD? I just bought the drift X170, which is only 720p, and thought that would be adequate. Really would rather spend $150....than my entire avgas budget.... on HD!
I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of canned YouTube video seems pretty blurry. :(
with the slower action filming flight, I hoped it would be ok viewed on a small standard TV or monitor.
time will tell.
thanks for the great tips on mounts...I'll be heading to the airport with tools in hand! ( except if I want to return this to Costco, I guess I'd better not butcher their mounts! :)

Allan,
have you used anything that was NOT HD? I just bought the drift X170, which is only 720p, and thought that would be adequate. Really would rather spend $150....than my entire avgas budget.... on HD!
I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of canned YouTube video seems pretty blurry. :(
with the slower action filming flight, I hoped it would be ok viewed on a small standard TV or monitor.
time will tell.
thanks for the great tips on mounts...I'll be heading to the airport with tools in hand! ( except if I want to return this to Costco, I guess I'd better not butcher their mounts! :)

The 720 videos look very good on an average size screen or TV. The only time the HD really pays off is on a HD TV big screen or high resolution monitor. Most of what you see on Youtube is shot with really poor quality cameras and loaded from poor performing computers with on-board junk video cards that were used for editing. Go ahead and try your new camera, as I am sure you will be very happy with it. Look at these videos, they were shot with the same camera you have at 720. Regards, Allan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn9Tove3Ilk
http://youtu.be/oIci8aArRvM

Last edited:
wrapped camera in electrical tape, waxed, and wrapped in carbon and epoxy to form a tube.... lots of great pictures

Do you leave the modeling clay under the glass when you lay it up or is there a way to get it out from under there?

I have four different sports action cameras (GoPro, Drift HD-170, Contour and Origon Scientific ATC-9000) and have written reviews on all of them. The best and most for your money without a doubt for shooting from an aircraft platform is the Drift HD-0170! It has a preview screen, Rf remote control with more than enough range to cover the entire aircraft, great photo and video quality, the best mounting system, a movable lens and all the features of the other cameras as well. All that is required to mount this unit is to drill a couple of holes or slots preferably, in one of the supplied mounts. I drilled three holes on two center distances and this allows me to mount the camera in a multitude of different locations simply by removing and replacing two existing screws,(Front top of wing looking foreword, front bottom looking foreword, rear top of wing, rear bottom looking back, wing tip looking at cockpit, Top or bottom of V/S looking foreword or back plus many other locations that virtually cover the entire aircraft). The location can be changed in about one minute or so. When you are shooting and want the ground to be the point of interest for your video, you should angle your camera 13 degrees downward for best results. This holds true with just about any lens from 16mm wide to 600mm telephoto. With the typical wide lenses on these small sports cameras, we use this 13 degree setting even when shooting plane to plane as the video looses interest if you cant see the ground or horizon. The tiny R/F remote is also a must, as the I/R remote models require pointing directly at the cameras lens. If you would like to narrate your video from the cockpit the camera has a standard audio jack that interfaces with your headset or intercom. I will post a short video link here for review that clearly shows the video quality, stability, Etc. This was shot at 200 MPH. If anyone is interested or desires more information just let me know. Regards, Allan

(VIDEO)
http://vimeo.com/22471547

CameramountRV006.jpg

CameramountRV001.jpg

I have just put my HD170 in the same position as Allan, however I have a few problems with it, and need some input.

1) I have mine on a 7A wing, is the 9A wing chord thinner ? as I have to zoom in about 20% so the wing is not in shot.
2) I have a red strip on the front on the wing. When I fly into the sun, all the video has a red was to it, and I seem to get the "jello" effect.
3) If I was to mount it under the wing what downward angle is best , like Vic has done here
4) After only about 1 hr of flying with it on the wing near the fuel cap position, I found the video not very sharp, like it has fog/mist inside it. ( it was a clear day, no rain )

IMG_2669.jpg

Last edited:
Mounts

I'm made these:

One over the wing and one under. Both are completely adjustable and mount to GoPro Cameras. The second type screws into the tie down spots for the tail or wing. Turn them any direction. I now have fuel cap replacement parts that have the mount milled into the top so I can replace my fuel cap piece with one of these.

bcw8j.jpg

33kdmdv.jpg

I have some You tube videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ2L7Mal57Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfPW2eklgdg

Mount angle

For adjustment I look at the display and make sure no wing is showing. That angle seems to work best. I experimented with a number of locations before I submitted this mount as the best option. I like it under the wing as it is best protected from the sun and reflections from the wing.

Gopro camera mount

The inside mount is used for both forward and inside recording. Each mount will hold any of the Gopro brand cameras.

photo-3.jpg
photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

Back