What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions on HOLDS with the 430W/530W

Brantel

Well Known Member
Can the 430W/530W hold at a published hold point that is not associated with any approach? I can't for the life of me figure out how if it can... (automatically and while driving an AP like it does for MAP holds)

Below is an example at PENCE intersection:

2mocb39.jpg

You go direct to PENCE, and as you approach the waypoint you select OBS mode and spin the CDI to the appropriate inbound course (I can't see it on the chart portion you provided, but it looks like something on the order of 240). Then fly the hold manually like you would if you were holding at a VOR without having the GPS.

Yeah, got that manual stuff. I was hoping that there was a way to make it fly it for you like it will on the approach proceedures....figured since it was a published hold, it should be able to do it. Guess not:(

Not that I'm aware of, and I think I know the 430W/AP integration pretty well.

Can the 430W/530W hold at a published hold point that is not associated with any approach? I can't for the life of me figure out how if it can... (automatically and while driving an AP like it does for MAP holds)

Sorry, but you need a GNS-480 for that. Or a $100,000 heavy iron FMS.

George

Enroute fixes/waypoints are not ARINC 424 coded for holding in navigation databases, unless they are utilized for approach procedure holding. I don't see any capability for building a manual hold at a fix in my 400W Pilot's Guide and Reference.

I talked with Garmin this week about this. They said that no, the 430W will not do any holds except what is part of an approach proceedure. They did say that they get requests all the time for this function. At present, they have not done anything but it is on the future possibilities list. I am not holding my breath.

I also talked with GRT this week about the same subject. He said it was an interesting idea but they had no plans at the present.

I guess we are stuck with the old style standard rate turns and timers for the present.

Tom
RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Which is why I keep one of these little beauties velcro'ed to my panel:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H950NEZ6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Ask ATC for 5 mile legs. Set the inbound course on the HSI. Fly the autopilot heading bug out bound on the reciprocal of the inbound course.Turn to a good intercept angle for the inbound leg with the heading bug and arm the autopilot nav function to intercept and go back to the holding fix. No clock to watch. Heading bug outbound, nav inbound. I have never been refused this option by ATC.

Back