What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To "W" or not?

tacaruth

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to purchase a Garmin 430 for IFR flying. My question is whether it would be better to buy a 430 for around $5k or a 430W for around $8k. Both units have ILS capability. Is the ability of the 430W to do LPV approaches worth the extra $3k? I know it will probably depend upon the types of airports being flown into. Larger airports will usually have ILS approaches while smaller airports will not. Is the ability to go from 500 ft RNAV/GPS approach minimums to 250 ft LPV minimums worth the extra money? You guys/gals who have the non-WAAS 430's, would you spend the extra money to upgrade? A 430 would also be used while the 430W could be new with a warranty.

Thanks in advance,
Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Absolutely yes. It is an investment that will be appreciate it for years to come. Not to mention that you are getting a brand new unit that comes with warranty.

if you fly hard ifr or have extra $ then spend the $.

otherwise go non wass. garmin supports there equipment used or new. $600 fixes a 430 to new. mine is 10 years old and been in twice. love the unit.

ifr tip. stay on the guages till decision point or go around point, if no runway enviroment in sight get out of there and have alternate already picked. got this tip from a comercial pilot who bases in nantucket island were low fog is the norm.

I'm about to add a "W" to our inventory, but don't know how soon it will fly. I've flown the "non-W" unit in the Val for close to 5 years now, and have never been in a situation where it was the difference between flying a trip or not. A lot of that has to do with our local environment - much of the time when we are not VFR, we have thunderstorms or ice, so it is surprising how little I actually file. And i generally don't file to someplace that is forecast to be really low, unless I really have a solid alternate within comfortable fuel range.

Now.....filing for someplace out in West Texas where the airports with ILS's (as good alternates) are few and far between is problematic, since it is hard to fly all the way out there and then have enough fuel to go another 150 miles to reach the alternate. To be honest, I haven't read the rules for LPV approaches to see how alternate minimums apply - it might help considerably.

We're going to get the 430W for the new airplane primarily because I like to have new stuff to start out in a plane, and you can't buy a new 430 from Garmin. The question is then whether or not we upgrade the Val to the "W" configuration to keep commonality. We still have a kitchen to remodel, so I am not in any hurry to spend that money....

Looking forward to seeing what WAAS can do though!

Paul

I don't have a 430, but in regards to WAAS capability, if I set my altimeter to a very current baro setting, the altimeter from my Garmins 696's panel page (using WAAS) & the aircraft's altimeter will exactly follow each other. It looks as if they're mechanically connected. Not bad, since they derive the same figures from two completely different methods.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
W better than VOR or ILS

If you look to the future it might be a better deal to use a 420 or 400 W and not have com and nav radio. Most airports have at least one GPS approach and the vertical guidance is wonderful. If you have the $ buy the 430. IMHO

Paul....

Looking forward to seeing what WAAS can do though!

Paul

...With 6' accuracy, I consistently see the airplane EXACTLY where it is in reality...a little to the right of the runway centerline...on the centerline...absolutely amazing.

Best,

Back