What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT USB Port trivia....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
So I was browsing through Fry's yesterday, and they had flexible USB LED laptop lights in the discount bins up front for $2.99. When I built the Val, I bought a couple of these, cut off the USB end, fished the wires out, put in dropping resistors, and mounted them cleverly as map lights. Then I saw someone who bought panel-mount USB ports, and wired them up with power supplies, and just plugged the lights in - I was envious!

Well, I bought a couple of the lights at Fry's, intending to do the same thing in the RV-3, but out of curiosity, I plugged them in to the USB ports on my GRT HX screens (I have the ports coming up to panel-mount sockets) and voil?! Let there be light! the GRT USB ports DO provide power for the lights - yet another reason to bring your GRT USB ports to the panel!

Paul

I was wondering if these would work in the GRT USB port for a quite a while but never got around to trying it. Thanks for the report. This will save having to dig out my headlamp for night flying.

I plugged them in to the USB ports on my GRT HX screens (I have the ports coming up to panel-mount sockets) and voil?! Let there be light! the GRT USB ports DO provide power for the lights

As my Dad always says, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!"

Thanks for the tip, Paul. That solves yet another problem for me... :)

Paul,

Is this what you are using for the USB "outlet"?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?sku=28063&cat_id=1512

These are some red LED's. They cost more than the $2.99 you mentioned. Is there a better (cheaper) source?

http://www.theledlight.com/Whereverlight.html

Great idea and the timing is ideal as I am completing a panel retrofit with a GRT EFIS.

Tom,
RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Yup - Those outlets are just what I am talking about. The Laptop "gooseneck" LED lights are generlaly available at the electronic places that sell laptops - Fry's usually has them cheap.

Problem....

The GRT only has 2 USB inputs. More are needed...

1-cross connect to other grt screens
2-video input
3-memory stick for recording
4-weather
5-led lights
6-

Problem....

The GRT only has 2 USB inputs. More are needed...

1-cross connect to other grt screens
2-video input
3-memory stick for recording
4-weather
5-led lights
6-

Methinks you have too many toys....:p:D

I use the serial channels for the DU interconnect (cause I was wired that way long before the USB became available for that function), and haven't had the time to play with the video stuff. Wx on my 696.

Now....I wonder what happens if you use a USB hub? Try one and report back!

Paul

Good stuff Paul.

I was of the opinion all USB ports could be used as a power supply; since they all carry power; assuming of course the output is appropriate for the device in question.

Back