What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternative Engine

thanks

friend in California completed RV-12 last year I have the bug after 25year hiatus. Flew 182 for 8 years but looking to build RV_9 or 12.

I've heard that there are several RV-12's in Australia flying an Aeromomentum engine.

I *do* appreciate the engineering-first approach to the engine's design. The typical "let's slap an aftermarket ECU on an automotive engine" approach is pretty common, but AM seem to take a from-the-case-up strategy that actually selects components based on design and operational requirements.

I'd love to see someone build an RV-10 with an AM20T in it. Cutting 150lbs of weight, or even 100, is gonna do good things for performance, even if you have to spend extra effort on fixing the CG.

The crowd here at VAF tend to be pretty conservative, so I don't know how much of a response you'll get. The Alternative Engine forum isn't super active :)

Last edited:
Mark at AM has had delivery trouble with his gear suppliers lately and is behind on filling orders. That may not be important if you haven't started your build yet though.

AM has the best offerings on alternative engines on the market at this time IMO. Mark has a rich background in aerospace and engineering and is very thorough. His pricing seems very good in my view too for what you get.

The crowd here at VAF tend to be pretty conservative, so I don't know how much of a response you'll get. The Alternative Engine forum isn't super active :)

No, the “crowd” here on VAF are not conservative. It’s just that they have been watching the alternative engine enthusiasts disappear down rabbit holes for decades...and descend into darkness. As a general rule they observe that with only one or two notable exceptions the enthusiasm with which new builders embrace alternative engines is inversely proportional to their understanding of things mechanical.

No, the “crowd” here on VAF are not conservative. It’s just that they have been watching the alternative engine enthusiasts disappear down rabbit holes for decades...and descend into darkness. As a general rule they observe that with only one or two notable exceptions the enthusiasm with which new builders embrace alternative engines is inversely proportional to their understanding of things mechanical.
Maybe we're talking past each other, but "sticking to what's known to work" sounds pretty conservative to me.

Maybe we're talking past each other, but "sticking to what's known to work" sounds pretty conservative to me.

It might sound conservative to you but it just sounds sensible to me. When you have an aircraft with only one engine that power plant is like a heart pacemaker....it’s your life support system. If it quits you can die. So you want to be installing something that has a really proven track record. I think most builders understand that.

AM has the best offerings on alternative engines on the market at this time IMO. Mark has a rich background in aerospace and engineering and is very thorough. His pricing seems very good in my view too for what you get.
Agree! I have known Mark for almost 13yrs and he is a superb engineer with a great product. I actually met with him and his wife today at Sun-N-Fun just to chat about "old times".

:cool:

Last edited:
I'd love to see someone build an RV-10 with an AM20T in it. Cutting 150lbs of weight, or even 100, is gonna do good things for performance, even if you have to spend extra effort on fixing the CG.

I was thinking one would be awesome in an RV-7...

I have not built a plane yet.... looking at building an RV7 and trying to price out parts...

Last edited:
Back